12.

After Hazel left with Cecelia and her bag, everything was kind of a blur. They arrived at the hotel, went to the front desk to collect the key, got to the room, Hazel put Cece back in bed then found herself sitting on the couch staring at the blank television.

A million things were running through her mind.

Her mother would flip out.

If her father found out, he would absolutely flip out.

Hazel had left all of her belongings in her room.

Cece probably hadn't been able to fit all of her stuff in that bag, either.

But instead of letting herself think on any of those things, she went upstairs to the master bedroom, changed into one of Hawk's shirts she found in the dresser, and collapsed on the bed. You know that phase in between being asleep and awake where anything's possible and nothing surprises you? Where you could wake up to Taylor Lautner sitting naked in front of you and just sort of roll with it?

Well, when Hazel woke up the next morning to Hawk hovering over her, his head tucked in between her neck and shoulder, his lips pressed to the sensitive skin right below her ear, she was in that phase. And, in that phase, she imagined that Hawk wasn't just her 'good friend' at all. That she could introduce him to people as her boyfriend and that when people asked if she was dating Hawkins Davila, she could say yes with zero uncertainty.

And, when that phase went away and reality sunk in, she realized that she wanted that.

She blinked a few times to clear her vision then she hooked a hand around the back of Hawk's neck.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," he whispered.

"I'm glad you did," she answered, dragging his face to hers. She parted his lips with her own and he let her control the kiss for a few seconds before he took over and, damn, did he took over. He let some of his weight settle onto her while he buried one of his big, rough hands into her hair. He used the leverage to tilt her head, further deepening the kiss at the same time plunging his tongue into her mouth to play. When he let out that animalistic growl that she knew and loved, she grinned around their battling tongues before getting into the kiss again.

They both lost track of how long they made out, but when there was a little knock at the door, all activities came to a halt. Hazel pushed Hawk off of her and jumped up to answer the door, laughing when she heard Hawk hit the ground with a dull thud.

"Thanks, baby," he grunted.

"Mmhmm," she answered, looking back to send him quick wink before opening the door to Cecelia.

"Hazel, why did we leave?" Cece asked in a small voice.

Hazel took a deep breath and went over to the bed, patting the spot next to her.

"I'll go make some breakfast," Hawk said softly, kissing Hazel on the head before walking out.

This was the part Hazel had been dreading. She wasn't sure what to do. Let Cece remain in the dark over what a monster her dad was, and eventually grow to resent Hazel for taking her away, sending her right back to her father, or tell her the truth and shatter the little girl's bubble of happiness. When it came to Cece's safety, there was no question.

"Cece, you know how sometimes my mom yells at you and it makes you upset?"

Cece nodded her head.

"Well, your dad has been doing a lot of things lately to make me very upset, and I was worried he would start doing it to you, too, if I left you there."

"What has he been doing?" Cece asked with big eyes.

Hazel opened her mouth to answer, then closed it. When she finally found the words, she opened her mouth again, but Cece interrupted.

"Does it have something to do with why I see him coming out of your room in the morning?" Cece asked in the most broken tone Hazel had ever heard.

Hazel closed her eyes and cursed Clark with every word she knew.

"Yeah, baby, it does," Hazel said softly. Cece nodded and swallowed before sending Hazel a wobbly smile.

"Well, then can I stay with you?"

Hazel gave Cece a smile in return and hugged the small girl to her, closing her eyes in relief.

"I would be honored if you stayed with me, sweetheart," she said.

Right on cue, Hazel smelled bacon and she got up and turned to Cece.

"Looks like Hawk made us some breakfast," she said with a wink. Cece's eyes got big for a different reason and she ran into the kitchen with Hazel trailing after her.

"Whatcha making?" Cece asked, swiveling in one of the chairs connected to the island counter Hawk was cooking at.

"Bacon and French toast, my specialty," he said with a wink.

"By specialty, he means the only thing he knows how to make," Hazel said, leaning against the entranceway to the kitchen and giving Hawk a warm smile.

He returned the grin, creasing his eyes at the corners and carving to deep dimples into his cheeks. He held out an arm, an invitation.

Without hesitation, Hazel walked over and tucked herself into his side. He absently kissed the top of her head while he stirred around the bacon.

"You guys are so cute," Cece said with a giant grin. Hazel tilted her head back and laughed, while Hawk frowned playfully.

"Cute?" he asked Cece, raising a daring eyebrow.

"Yes," she said, rebelliously, "cute."

He grinned and chuckled.

"You're all right, kid," he said, eliciting a bright smile from Cece.

Hazel wrapped an arm around Hawk's tight, hard stomach and rested her head on his shoulder, thinking that maybe things would turn around.