27

♥️

When I got to the lobby of the hospital I almost turned around, almost. But, I didn't.

I stood in the parking lot, squinting from the bright sun, lost in thought. Aiden's left me homeless, but I still have a home at my mom's. I get that his sentiment of wanting to put us somewhere nicer and safer, it was sweet and how could he have known the events that would take place? My hands are still shaking from the fear of what happened.

I hailed a taxi and slid into the back. Halfway to Aiden's building I slipped my phone out of the cracked window, letting it shatter on the street. Those men had me and Ashley for too long, I can't risk them tracking me to my mom's house.

*********

As I walk into the penthouse, the security on the elevator talks to me for a minute. I try to keep a straight face as I tell him I'm just getting a shower and some things to go back to the hospital.

I hesitantly walk into our room, I mean his room... and begin to pack some things. There is no way I can get the furniture and everything from where the movers dropped it off, but I guess I could get my own moving company to get it for me? I probably won't be doing another semester at college anyways, since my mom is losing her shop. My heart breaks for her. Maybe I can find a job baking somewhere and help her with the bills?

As I look around the room my eyes landed on Aiden's gift. I admire the Tiffany blue suitcase, I thought it was funny when Aiden told me he already had it. I found that hard to believe, I knew he got it for me... it's my favorite color. But I can't take it with me. I'll have to settle for one of his shirts instead. I pick up the black fabric and bury my face in it, smelling the intoxicating scent that is Aiden. Mint and leather with a hint of smoke. I let one tear fall before I place the trunk on the bed, letting him know I wouldn't be taking it and then I stuff my belongings into a trash bag.

Luckily, my car is in the parking garage of the penthouse.

"Hello, baby." I pat the hood before hesitantly climbing in. I wonder if Aiden's okay, has he woken up and realized I'm gone?

First stop, gas station. Burner phone. I have to know if Aiden and Ashley are okay, I know it's selfish to leave and then check up on him, but I care about him, more than myself. Which is why I can't let him chase me around protecting me. He had a life before me, and I know he cares, but at what cost am I if I'm a burden in his life?

*********

After what feels like days, I reach my hometown. It's three in the afternoon so I don't head straight home. Instead, I pull into the lot of my mother's flower shop. I'm expecting to see no one there, that way I can cry on my mom's shoulder. But when I pull in the gravel parking lot my breath hitches in my throat. Every single parking spot is claimed, and it looks like everyone from town is here. What?

I finally squeeze the Altima into a tight spot and head for the front door, passing rose bushes and hundreds of colorful flowers along the way. I've always loved coming here and the fact that she's losing the place breaks my heart.

The old brass bell rings as I walk in the shop, my mother's face turns towards the door and she smiles to give her usual "Welcome to The Flower Patch" catchphrase. But before she can say that, she squeals with delight and barreles towards me.

She wraps me in a tight hug that I didn't know I needed. One of her famous Pamela Banks hugs. Her black hair masks my face as she clings tightly to me. Too many people are dotted throughout the building for me to cry so I hold it in as she pulls me back to examine me.

She looks me over and a slight frown takes shape on her round face. "Oh, Honey. What happened?" She asks, her voice full of concern. I am lucky the shop is completely packed with the sounds of others to muffle the sniffles that were coming from me. Kids laughing and the pitter-patter of their shoes against the hard floors as they ran around. Grandparents fighting over which flower to plant in their yard, and then finally... the clicking of my mother's impatient shoe as I stall to answer her question.

Let's just avoid it altogether. "I'm fine mom, but umm. What's happening here?" I look around wide eyed and gesture to everyone. She grabs my hand in hers and leads me to the outside garden at the back of the shop. "Oh honey, it's wonderful!" She says, I note that no one was around... I could feel the tears brewing.

"I had an investor come in, he wanted to support hometown businesses." She claps her hands together and I am happy for her, of course, I am but I'm broken. I try to smile for her, but I know it's only a matter of time. "We have enough to keep the shop open for another twenty years!" The overwhelming relief of not having to worry about my mom mixed with the utter heartbreak of walking out of Aiden's life overtakse me and I wrap her in a hug and cry into her shoulder. Sobbing uncontrollably.

After a while, she pulls me back and studies me again. "Now, I know you're happy for me but those are tears of sadness too. I'm your mother I can tell these things." She gives me 'the look' and I nod once.

"Come!" She leads me inside. "I'll get one of the girls to run the shop for today, we can head home. I drove the work van here so we can just take your car home."

*********

When we got to the house, I walked in and relief flooded through me of the familiarity of my childhood home. The smell of cinnamon and apple wafted through the air, our home smells like fall all year round and I love it. The baby pictures of me that line the hallways make me smile, but most importability the golden lab that is currently barreling towards me makes my heart warm as he jumps on me.

"Rex!" I yell in delight as I fall to the ground from his weight. "Who's a good boy?" I hug his soft golden fur as he wiggles underneath me, his tail is wagging so hard. I missed him.

My mom laughs before she helps me up and guides me to the kitchen table, the place where we have all of our important discussions.

I tell her everything. Well, not everything but the jest of it. That I met a guy and I really liked him, but something happened. She hounded me wondering if it was his fault, but I assured her that it wasn't and that I just needed to come home and relax.

She's quiet for a moment as we sit at our old kitchen table, the scratch marks from years of use make me smile.

She places her hand on mine and changes the subject, for that I am grateful. "What do you want for dinner? Absolutely anything, you name it I'll make it."

"Umm, roast? And maybe apple pie?" I look at her hopefully and she smiles brightly.

After I devour the homemade food, I walk up to my childhood room and sleep for what feels like days.

***********

The next morning, I wake up to a huge breakfast. I am thankful I came on a Friday since my mom is off for the weekend. I decide to stay in my favorite pajamas for the day, I won't be going anywhere anyway. A pair of fluffy Gryffindor pants, they're too hot for summer, but they are comfy. And Aiden's shirt, I would never wash it... why didn't I grab his black hoodie?

While sipping some hot coffee in the kitchen my mother asks, "Can you go grab the mail honey?" I throw on a pair of slippers and head for the mailbox with Rex. He follows me everywhere... I think he known my heart is broken.

Across the street I see the boy who broke my heart in high school, Caleb. I stare at him for a moment as he washes his white truck in his driveway. The same truck he kissed the head cheerleader in while we were dating. Why was I so caught up with him back then? That heartbreak is absolutely nothing compared to the breaking of my own heart of when I left Aiden at the hospital.

What if I made a mistake?

What if he's the one?
♥️