Mountebank

Mountebank; con artist.

C H A P T E R    T H I R T Y - F I V E 

"Hello, love," the deep and posh sound of the British accent and the gentle tap on my shoulder startled me out of my unruly thoughts. 

I spun around briskly, only to meet with Caleb, who had a huge grin resting on his face which made a distinct presentation of his mood.

"Not to be weird or anything, but it sounds so hot when British people say that," I said referring to the term of endearment in his greeting as he smirked at me, ridiculously proud to be the owner of such an accent.

"It's not weird at all. In fact, I am glad you are not one of the people who replied with 'Oh my god, you sound exactly like Klaus'," his voice transitioned into a high pitched one which told me that it was girls who came up with that kind of reaction.

"People actually respond with that?"

"You do not want to know," he shook his head at me. "It's almost as if we are not required to do anything else but voice those two words to make you Americans fall in love with us," he admitted, smirking at me.

I was about to reply, but my eyes met with the one person for whom I was putting all my patience into pacifying. His jaw hardened as he saw me, and he held my gaze for two more seconds before turning to the guy sitting next to me and continuing the conversation with a smile. I took a deep breath and moved forward to catch my seats, but to my surprise, I found Caleb talking to the guy sitting with Matt.

He came and sat next to me, and I was eager to speak up. "You know the guy that Matt's been hanging out with?"

"Yeah, Will. He is one of my mates, very chill guy but extra fucking intelligent. Always fun to have a few beers with," he shrugged his shoulders lightly. "Matthew and Will have become quiet close recently, you know, after your fall out which I am assuming is still not mended."

I shook my head no. "I did try to reason with him a few times over the week, but he's so adamant."

"Look, I do not want to speak out of line, but if he is not making any effort to understand then stop tiring yourself after him. Do not give him the benefit of the doubt when he clearly does not deserve it, Sydney," I sighed, because this the third time someone was trying to explain the same thing. Scarlett and Noah had already talked to me about this. 

"Yeah, I know. I'll stop when I feel absolutely deprived of hope," I smiled sadly at him and he shook his head at me, chuckling.

I found it surprising as I realized that I hadn't once mentioned anything about Caleb in front of Noah. I made a mental note to introduce both of them once the class ended. Then again, my attention was Noah's captive to an extent where his being made sure that my mind wouldn't be capable enough to think about anything or anyone else but him when I am with him. He didn't need to put any additional effort for that; his attendance just naturally ensured it. In fact, now it came to a point where Noah would somehow weasel his way into my mind, even when he wasn't physically present.

As the class ended and students emptied the vast room, Caleb said, "I have to go, I will see you in the next class, yeah?"

"Oh wait, let me just introduce you to Noah. He told me he's waiting outside for me," his grin mirrored mine as I said that. We came out, and my eyes immediately found Noah, standing a bit further away. He looked dashing in his pure white t-shirt and leather jacket, with the evergreen skinny jeans and black Converse that I had managed to get him addicted to. Busy on his phone, he made no attempts of all the smiles and persisting stares he caused from the girls that passed by.