Sequoia

Sequoia; a redwood tree, especially the California redwood, it symbolizes forgiveness, gratefulness, wisdom, strength, endurance.

C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y - S I X

"What?" Matt voiced, his nonchalance being expressed to the highest degree.

"What do you mean, what? What the hell just happened?" Scar asked, running out of patience for an answer.

"Oh, y'all saw that?" Matt bit his lip to stop the blush from taking over his face. I didn't know what to feel right now. I felt like a baseball that Matt had happily managed to beat the shit out of.

"If we had gotten a warning, we would've definitely closed our eyes because believe me, we have no interest in gawking at you playing tongue squash or gawking at you at all actually," Noah said, raising his eyebrows and I slapped his arm lightly.

"Why didn't you tell us you're bi?" Ally asked. She was more upset than shocked by the fact that Matt did not tell us.

"I didn't know when to," Matt defended with the thinnest argument.

I nodded in agreement, sarcastically. "Right, because we only met two days ago," This is the most we had conversed in the past three weeks, but I felt so unresolved that I didn't care how rude my tone was coming off. 

"Okay, look, it's not a big deal. Lots of people are bisexual, it's not something new to the world, so can we please not make a big deal out of it?" Matt requested.

"We don't care about lots of people because we didn't hang out with those lots of people for almost the entire semester," Ally said, extreme disappointment visible in her tone. She went out before any of us could utter another word. If there was anyone as close to Matt as me, it was Ally, so this was bound to happen.  I sighed at Chase as he ran out after her along with Matt. 

"Who is that guy, anyway?" Jay asked, referring to the guy Matt was kissing.

"It's the same guy he's been hanging out with these days. Caleb told me his name is Will, and apparently he's brilliant," I told them.

"Oh, good! Caleb, the know-it-all to the rescue," Noah rolled his eyes.

Scar scoffed. "Dude, he's in a committed relationship, you can stop hating him."

"Hey! Just because he's gay doesn't mean I have a reason not to hate him!" Noah exclaimed.

His best friend put his hand on Noah's shoulder. "Do you have any proper reason to hate him?"

"Whose side are you on?" Noah glared at him.

Jay patted his shoulder. "Always on the right one, bro."

Noah gave him the middle finger, and Scar groaned. "Guys, can we please concentrate on the issue on hand? What are we gonna do about it?"

"Besides enjoy watching Winston blush embarrassingly, I don't think there's much we can do," Noah said, stretching his arms.

"Yeah, he's bi, not an alien. It's not a big deal. I mean, I understand that Ally's upset that he didn't tell us, but it's his choice. I don't see why you girls have to make such a big deal about that too, I mean, we know now anyway," Jay replied, shrugging his shoulders.

Scar gave him a look, and he picked his books up. "I have class and this conversation is not leading anywhere that proves to be beneficial for myself so, I'm gonna get going, see you later," he hoisted himself up from his seat and placed a chaste kiss on Scar's lips.

The three of us dispersed a few minutes later to carry on with the rest of our day. As my feet worked against the ground, I wondered if things would ever go back to how they used to be between Matt and I. It seemed unnecessary to fight over something so trivial. I quietly chuckled to myself as I recalled him calling me by a different city in Australia every day. Things were rushing by so quickly that I didn't even have the time to realize how much I craved our dumb conversations that brought a smile to my face on the toughest days.