o n e

"It's another girl."

"A girl?!"

"What does she look like?"

"We're shucked for sure."

"Is she alive?"

"What the shuck is going on?"

"Slim it, slinthead. You know damn well what's going on."

I slowly raised my head. The expected subject stood over me. Gally was standing there, just looking at me like he was afraid to go any closer. He eventually realized that doing so would amount to nothing and he took a step closer.

"Ya alright there, Gally?" I heard someone ask from above.

"Yeah, just hold on a second." He dismissed and bent down to my level. "C'mon, Greenie."

I unfolded my arms and uncoiled my body from my previous position. I chose to say nothing as I slowly stood up. Gally was watching me intently, like I was going to turn into a Griever and bite his head off at any second. The chatter from above ceased for a moment and I found my head spinning to adjust to the situation. Gally hoisted me up as arms grabbed me from above, lifting me out of the Box and into the Glade. I landed with a thud on the dirt but I didn't mind.

The Gladers crowded around me like I was a science experiment or something. They were all wary while looking down at me. I stood up and wobbled as I tried to escape the circle of boys they've put me in. Thankfully, the made way for me and I was able to get a clearer view of the Glade. My breath got temporarily knocked out of my lungs.

I was inside the Glade.

It was such a contrast to what I've been seeing through screens these past few weeks. A dramatic change that was sure to confuse the hell out of me later, but for now, I had something to do. I scanned the area for the nearest Maze door. I spotted one along the East side, near where we were and I mentally prepared myself again. Since the Gladers were too busy talking about what to do with me, I took this as my cue and ran for it. They noticed me but I guess this was common for Greenies, so they kept their eyes on me but did nothing to stop me. Maybe they were expecting me to fall on my face like Thomas did but I sure as hell wasn't going to.

I was three feet from the doors when I was suddenly knocked to the ground as somebody straddled me and pinned both of my hands down, restraining me from any upper body movement.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!" He screamed in my face.

"Let go of me!" I struggled against him. "I want out!"

I didn't understand how he was able to pin me down so easily, he had a small build but he was tall and he didn't look a day over fifteen. Of course I knew that he was really around seventeen. His eyes held enduring maturity that made you think twice about his age.

I guess looks can deceive.

"No," he said, increasing his grip. "You're not doing yourself any good if you keep this up, ya know."

I stopped struggling and looked into his brown eyes. It was Newt. He sensed my surrender and he started to loosen his hold on me. Just then, Thomas and Minho entered the Glade. Newt got off me but still kept a close proximity; he didn't trust me.

"What's this?" Minho asked in astonishment. "A new Greenie?"

Newt nodded. "Pretty much."

Thomas walked straight up to me and for a moment there was a slight chance of him remembering me. Even his new name sounded weird in my mind. I saw recognition flash in his eyes then it disappeared as quickly as it came and my heart sunk.

His eyebrows scrunched up. "What's your name?"

"Sanza." I replied in a light voice, I was afraid that if I spoke louder, they'd notice my voice quiver. The hurt of losing your best friend hit me hard then.

"Well, Sanza." Minho said. "You came at a very bad time."

"Why? What the hell was going on out there?" Newt asked.

"Why don't you tell him, Thomas?" Minho looked at Thomas. But Thomas didn't look too keen on telling him because he was still trying to catch his breath.

"We think it could be a way out." Minho proceeded to say.

"It's true." Thomas agreed.

"We opened a door. It was something I've never seen before." Minho said between breaths. Both of them seemed extra exhausted. Something big must've happened in the Maze. "He thinks it's where the Grievers go during the day."

"Wait! Whoa, whoa, whoa," Chuck came up to us and spoke. "Are you saying we found the Griever's hole and you want us to go in?"

"Their way in could be our way out, Chuck." Thomas said.

"Yeah! Or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side." Gally cut in. "The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done as usual." His tone was anything but helpful.

Thomas turned around and faced Gally sharply. "Yeah well at least I did something, Gally! Yeah what have you done, huh? Aside from hiding behind these walls all the time?"

"Let me tell you something, Greenie." Gally took a menacing step closer. "You've been here three days, alright? I've been here three years—"

"Yeah, you've been here three years and you're still here, Gally!" Thomas pointed out with much intensity. "What does that tell you, man?" he huffed. "I think you need to start doing things a little differently."

"Well then you should be in charge—"

"Hey, hey!" A feminine voice interrupted their argument. Everybody's heads—including mine—turned to Teresa. "It's Alby." As soon as she said those words I could feel everyone hold their breath.

"He's awake."