Chapter Thirty-Four (extended!)

[a/n] just a little foreword, there’s been a bit of confusion about where vienna’s going and I think I’ve accidentally said san Francisco but its actually los angeles. Sorry for the confusion.

Samantha is on the side; portrayed by Shelley Hennig. 

Song on the side is "Lay me Down (Acoustic)" by Sam Smith. I thought it fitted. 

- - -

   Elliot hadn’t spoken a word to me ever since I talked to him and that was over three hours ago. Not like anyone was keeping record or anything, but that was by far the longest we’d gone without speaking to each other while we were both awake. All throughout the ride, whenever I wove in and out of a broken sleep, my words just kept echoing in my head. What I said changed everything, and knowing it was my fault, that it was because of no one else but me, made me want to hurl myself out of the car into I-15.

This was honestly ripping me apart from the inside, making me question if I was right to do it or not. Maybe making a heroic decision wasn’t for me. I wasn’t a hero. Now it was 3:16 AM, it was dark and starry outside, and the pickup truck was making groaning noises that resembled how I felt. Elliot was looking straight ahead, never once breaking his gaze off the road, and sure, maybe that was what he was supposed to do being the designated driver, but for once, I just wanted him to turn and  look at me.

He didn’t.

The radio’s volume was on high, but I noticed he had turned it down a notch after I slept. Or maybe it was just my imagination.

As I slumped against the cold, frosted window, I saw the green blur of a road sign, quickly reading that we were crossing into West Covina, just miles from Los Angeles. I didn’t know if Elliot was going to drop me off at my house, or stop at his, or go directly to the hospital. Maybe he would ask where I preferred to go, maybe he would actually speak a word or maybe even a grunt, if I was lucky.

The Ford suddenly became too cranky, and Elliot started to exit the interstate silently, pulling into the nearest Shell gas station. It was relatively empty, except for the cashier inside the store, and thankfully, there were no corn stalks in sight.

Elliot started to get out of the car, digging into his pocket with what little left we had of Uncle Terrence’s borrowed cash. It shouldn’t have been that much, considering we were less than thirty miles away from both Bell Gardens and Los Angeles. This trip would be ending soon, and by the looks of it, I wouldn’t get the happy ending that every road trip deserved.

I stayed in the car, looking away as Elliot pumped gas into the truck. He opened the driver’s door to turn off the car, and I could feel his eyes on me.

“I gotta make a phone call, I’ll be right back,” he suddenly burst out. I was so surprised, I flinched at his voice. I’d forgotten how raspy, how longing it sounded. I only nodded, and he closed the passenger door, his words being temporary and weightless.

I already know it was to call Samantha. I just didn’t think it would’ve bothered me.

Of course he’s going back to her. I hurt him. Why would he ever stay with someone he can barely stand to talk to? I thought bitterly, biting my lip in frustration. 

I watched him walk around the front of the car, the headlights illuminating the hollowness of his eyes. I had completely forgotten to ask if he had wanted to switch drivers, but he would probably have just ignored me anyway. As I watched him cross over to the telephone booth near the entrance of the gas station store, I almost felt a sense of anger rush through my veins.