t w o

I followed them silently into the Med-jack's shack. It was a dimly lit place; the only light was coming from the spaces between the roughly put together wood boards. Alby sat with his back facing us.

"Has he said anything?" Thomas asked Teresa.

"No." Teresa answered.

I don't think she has noticed me. Frankly, I don't think anyone has at this point. They all had more things to worry about than the Greenie who arrived at a very bad time.

"Alby?" Newt slowly came closer and sat beside Alby. "Alby are you alright?"

Alby didn't respond so Thomas followed Newt, kneeling on the ground in front of them. "Hey, Alby? We just found our way out of the Maze, we could be getting out of here." Thomas tried coaxing Alby.

Alby shook his head. "We can't." He said in a broken whisper. "We can't leave. They won't let us."

Thomas' eyes switched from Newt to Alby. "What are you talking about?"

"I remember." Alby said, looking at neither of them. Everybody exchanged worried and confused glances.

"What do you remember?" Thomas asked.

Alby unexpectedly turned his body until his bloodshot eyes met mine. "You."

Everyone took a step away from me as soon as he'd said that. I then moved closer until I was standing right behind a kneeling Thomas. I furrowed my eyebrows. How much did he remember?

"And Thomas." He faced Thomas. "You're always their favorite, Thomas. Always."

Some yelling erupted outside and I craned my neck to look between the boards to try and see what was happening.

"Why'd you do this?" Alby asked with his eyes boring into mine, snapping my gaze back to him. "Why'd you come here?"

"I had no choice." I spoke in monotone.

The yelling got louder and more noticeable, the other Gladers shifted their attention from us to outside. Thomas stood up and held my hand. My heart warmed for a moment, taken aback by the action. He led me outside and the last thing I saw of Alby was him covering his ears with his hands. Thomas and I were the first to see the chaos starting outside. Everyone acted all panicky and worriedly, running around with lighted torches. What was wrong? Then I realized. It's happening.

Thomas stopped a Glader who ran by. "Winston, what's going on?"

"It's the doors, they aren't closing." His voice was laced with uncertainty and fear.

Thomas looked back at me. "Did you know this was going to happen?"

"No." I lied. "I don't know anything." As bad as I wanted to tell him, I couldn't.

I knew this was going to happen, I just didn't expect it to happen this soon.

I watched as a group of Gladers with Winston as a part of it, ran to the entrance of the open door of the Maze. With no clue as what to do, I ran after them, pulling Thomas by the hand as Teresa, Newt, Minho, Gally and Jeff followed. We stopped at the open doors and just stared at it.

The sound of metal moving echoed loudly through the Glade and my hands shot up to protect my ears. That was the least of my worries; the sounds were coming from the door behind us that moved. We all turned around just in time for it to fully open. Another loud sound came from the right of us, then to the left and soon every door leading to the Maze was open. Gladers had grouped together and approached the opened doors with their torches. I wanted to scream and tell them to get as far away from the doors as possible.

I knew what was coming.

And I think Thomas did too because he was ordering Chuck to go back to the Council Hall and barricade the doors.

"Winston, go with him." Newt added as he caught on. I didn't know how they managed to function this well, I was scared to death and I felt my blood freeze in my veins.

"And the others!" Gally hollered. "Tell them to hide in the forest, now!"

"Got it." Winston nodded and both of them were off, running deeper into the Glade.

"Minho, we need to salvage every weapon we can find." Thomas said as Minho nodded.

I knew Thomas was doing everything he could to protect the Gladers. But it was too late. I felt the Grievers right outside our doorsteps.

"Thomas!" I pulled his arm and he faced me. "We all need to hide now!"

Right on time, we heard some Gladers scream.

"Grievers!"