t h r e e

Warning bells rang in my ears. The Grievers were here. We needed to move right now, but for some reason all of them stood in place, watching in the direction the screams came from. They're wasting precious time!

"Alright everybody hide!" Thomas yelled.

And it was like every single one of us had the same thought, we ran as fast as we could away from the doors. Before I ran, I took one last glance at the opening in front of us. I stopped when I found what I was looking for. A Griever had just appeared down the corridor of the Maze.

"Sanza!"

I turned and ran as fast as I could, following Thomas and the others. The closest cover we had was the cornfields. I mindlessly dashed in, it was getting darker and I was starting to not see a thing. We all crouched in a small circle. Newt was right next to me and I gripped his shoulder for comfort as the pained screams of some Gladers that were taken by the Grievers started to fill the air. A scream sounded from our left. I looked above us just in time for a Griever's arm to come crashing down on the boy directly in front of me.

"Zart!" Thomas screamed and reached out for him. But he was too late. The Griever had already gotten Zart.

"Run!"

We all scrambled in different directions. I saw Gally and three others open the Box and climb in. I was tempted to follow them but they were just too far away. It was too risky.

"This way!" Newt pulled me. "To the Med-jacks!"

I ran and followed him into the small shack where Thomas was helping Alby up and out of there. We looked behind us and a few feet away, we saw a Griever stab a boy to death, his screams drowned in his blood.

"Move!" I shouted. "We have to keep moving!"

Then I ran forward, exiting the shack and leaving others to follow. I ran deeper into the forest but a Griever came stumbling in our path. I had no weapons so I stepped back in alarm albeit I knew that WICKED wasn't going to let the Griever harm me. But that wasn't always certain. Teresa took a gas lamp and threw it at the Griever. It exploded in glass shards and fire. It bought us time to redirect our route and find a safer path and we continued running.

"Keep moving!" Thomas yelled after I heard a Griever take a boy behind me.

I realized where we were heading to and I pushed myself further. Alby suddenly collapsed in front of me and I almost tripped over him.

"Alby!" Thomas and others helped him up. A Griever finally caught us and lunged at us but a spear was launched through its head. I looked in the direction it was from and found Frypan's group with weapons and spears. I silently thanked them as we ran into the Council Hall.

We locked all the doors and windows once everyone got inside. I ushered them to the farthest corner of the hall. I could hear the Griever's legs hit the wood outside. This place wasn't going to hold for long. It was an agonizing wait. I heard a crashing sound but nothing fell apart. A Griever had jumped on the roof.

"Stay back, guys." Newt ordered, standing next to me as I was the farthest away from the huddled group and I was the least safe.

I could hear the heavy mechanical steps it made as it stomped on the roof. And then it started to tear the building apart. Our huddled group broke apart in a screaming frenzy. Wood fell everywhere and I lost Thomas. I heard another boy being taken from my right and I instantly dashed left, where Minho, Chuck and Newt was. Thomas was there too. He grabbed my shirt and helped me up.

A Griever arm burst through the wall and grabbed Chuck.

"Chuck!" We all screamed.

Thomas was fast and caught him before the Griever could take him outside. I held on to Thomas's body as Newt held on to mine; we were pulling with all our might.