23| what was that?

My back was against Ethan's chest as he held me. I was still feeling dizzy and unaware of my surroundings. Ethan's deep soothing voice tickled my ears. "I'm not trying to start a fight with you, so please don't leave," Ethan said softly. Once I could steady myself, I said to Ethan, "Alright, I'm not angry. Can you let go of me? I'm feeling dizzy right now." Ethan slowly supported me back to the bamboo floor for me to nurse my sudden headache. "Sorry, I wasn't trying to hurt you," Ethan said with concern. "I know. Stop apologising to me. It's not your fault. I think I got up too fast," I said trying to get rid of Ethan's guilt. Our proximity was very close and I could feel his breath as I had my head in my hands to ease the pain. Ethan was rubbing circles on my back trying to help with my headache. "Do you need anything? I'll get it for you." "No, it's fine. Oh, weren't you saying something about me being... what was it again?" I asked Ethan, trying to probbed at what he suddenly stopped saying out loud during his outburst. He sighed and tried to avert his eyes. I could see his ears tinged in pink. "Hey, are you alright? Your ears are red," I said to Ethan while placing my hand on his forehead as he was squatting down towards me. I measured his body temperature and there was nothing out of ordinary. "Hmm, you don't have a fever. Maybe you've overworked? Take of yourself too, Ethan." He grabbed my hand gently and as he was about to say something... "Hey, what are you guys up to?" Kace loudly exclaimed as he walked towards us with Titus behind him. He looked like he was taking a stroll until he saw us here. Ethan quickly got up. "Nothing. We were just talking," Ethan replied. "Well, both of you were awfully close when you're just talking," Kace said with suspicions. Behind him, Titus was trying to cover up his mouth. His shoulders was shaking. Was he laughing?
"Hey Kace, stop it. Ethan just helped me when I was feeling dizzy. Stop blabbering nonsense alright. I have a headache," I said while glaring at Kace.

"Well, you better not be up to something," Kace said anomalously without indicating who he was talking about. I was confused with the situation currently at hand. "So, what are you doing here?" I said as I nodded at Titus and smiled at him. I didn't have any hard feelings for him anymore as the present Titus is not the same as the Titus in my past life. I had nothing to do with him in this life. He was just someone I treated like my brother. "Well, it's time to go. Four of us can leave first since we don't have any prayers to do. The car is ready. Let's go down the mountain," Titus said to all of us. As I decided to stand, Ethan held up his hand to support me. I smiled in thanks. Unaware, I could not see Titus shaking his head with a sly smile and Kace who was trying not to have an outburst.

There was an awkward silence in the car. I was currently sandwiched between Kace and Ethan, while Titus took the passenger seat at the front. My heart felt calm as I had already settled all my past feelings during the cleansing ceremony. I could finally focus on myself and not be dragged down by my past life. As it was a long day, I was already feeling drowsy like a child. From my peripheral visions, I could see Titus looking at Ethan from the side mirror and my brother trying hard to tease Ethan. Since I was so sleepy, I could not care less about the antics of these three grown men. Soon after, I had fallen into slumber. Without me knowing, my head was rested on Ethan's shoulders comfortably. Since I was out of the light, I could not hear the conversation in the car.

"You really do like Ambar, don't you?" Titus commented towards Ethan. "You two were so close together in high school and you were trying to put a distance so desperately while you were in college. Must have been hard for you, Ethan," Titus continued saying while Ethan looked out the window averting Kace's hard stare.  "I can't believe it. You are normally so stoical, but when you're with Ambar, you are really like a big puppy," Kace teased Ethan whose face was starting to turn red. "Was I that obvious?" Ethan asked the two of them. "Well, you were," Titus replied cheerfully. "I don't think Ambar noticed. She's so oblivious sometimes," Kace said in a thought. "Well, I do plan to tell her my feelings," Ethan said truthfully. "I can deal with you. You're a good guy, unlike your brother in front who's such a sly fox," Kace said adding a jab towards Titus. "Hmm, the sly fox here, is rooting for you Ethan. I'm sure you'll take care of her. Well if not, the big bad wolf over there will kill you,"Titus said lightly turning to look at both Kace and Ethan at the back seats. "Who are you calling a big bad wolf?" Kace said in an annoyed tone. The two, Titus and Kace, bicker like a married couple. At the slight increase of noise, Ambar stirred slightly. Ethan automatically patted Ambar's head lulling her back to sleep. He had a very gentle face right now.

It was the next morning when Ambar had woken up in her room after the ceremony. Everyone had started to depart back to their own homes. Ambar's phone rang. "Hello? Who's this?" It was unknown number, but the voice of the speaker was oddly familiar. "It's Ethan. I've got your number. I've already set my number in your phone. I'm pretty sure you're not wide awake yet." Ambar gave out a yawn. "Hmm, I'm still sleepy. Did you place me in my room yesterday," Ambar said still half asleep and rubbing her face trying to wake up. "No, Kace did. By the way, I'm leaving back to the Zhang manor. We'll meet up sometime, Yeah?"

"Yeah, yeah. Miss you." "Alright, me too. Wake up, sleeping beauty." The call ended. The sun had already risen high up in the sky. It was time to stop lazing around and get some work done.