25| Ethan's POV

Ethan's point of view.

Sound effects blasted out of the sound system in the movie theatre. It was dark and cold. Luckily, I brought an extra sweater for Ambar so she wouldn't complain about the temperature here. Ambar was so fixated towards the huge screen in front of us that she didn't noticed our hands were linked together. She was munching on some caramel popcorn with one hand while the bucket laid on her lap. Even though she dressed casually, she still looks good. Of course, I would be bias. I would like anything she wears. Her hair is short, with the ends touching her shoulder. She used to have really long luscious hair that reach near her waist. She used to hate having a hair cut and would be adamant about leaving her hair long. "I would look more like a princess," she said when she was younger. I love her hair too. It's a shade of light brown which frames her petite face nicely. I touched her hair gently, brushing the ends of a piece of her hair. She looked at me curiously and then shrug, returning her attention to the movie. I smiled at her. The need to make her mine and be closer to her, is becoming more overwhelming as the day passes. I could say, I am on the brink of desperation, because Ambar is very oblivious to my feelings and I would have to be more straightforward towards her.

Once the movie was over and the credits rolled in, Ambar tugged my hand to get up and exit the theatre. We decided to have dinner together before I had to send her home. These days, I could tell that Ambar does not have time to relax as her assignment increases in piles. She was yawning and I suggested for us to take a brief break before we had our dinner. We went to chill at a cozy cafe near the cinema and I decided to ask her about the incident she had with the priest during the temple visit. She looked surprised that I had remembered the incident and our unfinished conversation. She sighed and tried to divert my attention, but I could be as stubborn as her and held my ground. She meekly mumbled that she's sick. Her exact words were, "I have brain tumour and I'm getting treatment now." It was mind blowing. The missing pieces of the puzzles fell in place. The reason why she had short hair and why she looked sickly pale during the temple visit. The reason why she was missing all the time before the reunion even though she was discharge from the hospital.

"But it's treatable, Right?" I asked her anxiously. "Yeah, it's not life-threatening," she mumbled while avoiding my eyes. She's clearly hiding something, so I decided to prob more, hoping she give me more clues. "Then, why do you have only 4 more years to live?" I asked her casually. She kept silent with an accusing glare aimed towards me. Yeah, I did overhear her conversation with the priest, but I was sincerely worried about her wellbeing, and the fact that I like her, no, love her does not help either. "You can tell me, Ambar. I can even help you too," I calmly stated hoping I could get through her. "Fine," she uttered silently. A beat passed. "I have the curse of the five families." This information came as another explosion to my head. She looked really nervous while fiddling with her hands. Her face scrunched up with worry, sadness and even a tinge of regret. I would know about the curse. It's related to the piece of jade that my older brother, Titus, was trying to retrieve from the vile woman, Xia Ling. It was hopeless, as even the Lou family could not get hold of the piece of stone. If I remember correctly, it was a spirit stone and only daughters of the five families would be influenced if the stone was not in protection and even worse, it was destroyed. The silence was overwhelming and tension was so thick it could not be cut through. I thought it was a myth, but if the priest could foresee Ambar's death, it might be the real deal and it would make sense why Ambar is involved because she's the youngest daughter born in the family.

"But, how did you know about the curse before the priest did?" I questioned her curiously while I rubbed circles at the back of her hand to calm her down. "I can't tell you," she whisper with pain and sorrow reflected in her eyes. I decided I could not push her further. I could easily described Ambar with the phrase, "if you grabbed the sand too tightly, it would slip away as easily if you held it loosely while the wind blows it away."

"Alright. We can end the conversation. I promise to help you. You're not alone, Ambar," I spoke softly with sincerity. Ambar nodded her head. The mood instantly lightens. I dragged her along to a nearby restaurant for dinner. As we walked side by side, I abruptly stopped. Ambar bumped into my shoulders. "I forgot to tell you something," I vaguely uttered to Ambar. She tilted her head sideways questioning me. "I really like you." Her eyes widen slightly and a light pink blush painted her cheeks. She was so speechless, that I started to snicker. She looked so cute when she was so clueless and lost. "I really mean it. You don't have to reply me now." I pulled her closer for a hug. Her head neatly tugged under my chin. We were a perfect fit. She hid her face on my chest. I chuckled. Things might be going in the right direction, after all. I swear on my life that I would save Ambar from the curse, even though she feels guilty that she had dragged me into the mess. I don't think she should be the only one to carry the burden. It wasn't her fault that she carries the curse now.