Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
Elle's POV

Two days later, I was waiting by the curb for the 115 bus to come spluttering around the corner, watching for the telltale vapours pouring from the exhaust pipes. I cursed the Moritz Hotel's staff policy black and blue, shivering as I raised my fingers to my lips; I couldn't tell which was colder as I blew heated air onto them.

The plum dress had little gold embellishments and was perfect during four weeks in spring, but the non-breathable fabric caused sweating hot flashes, while in winter, it simply didn't provide enough coverage. I had the blazer buttoned up, and my coat tugged tight across my body, but the cold was nipping at my legs, protected only by the type of thin stockings the hotel allowed.

I should have stayed inside, but the bus schedule in town was flimsy, and the drivers were infamous for being unpredictable. I just wanted to wrap myself into a cocoon and sip hot chocolate as my body thawed by the heater. All the cold in the world couldn't stop me from making it home to snuggle up with a good movie.

Overnight, as though visited by Jack Frost, the town had frozen. No snow had fallen, but the chill had crept through the night, glazing the ponds into smooth glassy ice fields as frost webbed the windows. It would never truly freeze over, but it was enough to set a stunning scene.

'Elle!'

I glanced over my shoulder in time to see Belinda plunging into the cold, Charles hot on her heels. They didn't seem to mind the cold as much as I did, dressed for the weather in colourless beanies and scarves. Belinda wore thick taupe pants that made her look two sizes bigger and a puffer jacket zipped up her neck. I wallowed miserably, eyeing their wool-padded boots enviously as I scuffed my thin black flats against the pavement.

'It's quite cold.' Belinda observed flatly, her eyes sweeping over the deserted street. 'Do you ever see snow?'

'I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some in the next few days.' It was mostly a lie. Guests often thought they would see snow if they came to the mountains in winter. Mostly though, when it snowed, it was never cold enough to stick.

My brain had frozen, and the sharp bite of the air rendered me thoughtless as my teeth gnashed together, shivering violently. The cold stung my eyes, and I had to blink back tears, bouncing on the balls of my feet to bring some warmth back to my body.

'The river tour you signed us up for this morning was stunning.' I glanced up sharply, not realising they were both still waiting by the curb. 'There is so much history here, and I'd never even heard of this town before the Welshes gave us their room.'

Charles huddled beside his wife, soaking in her warmth, lacing their hands together. Something sharp stabbed wildly at my chest, and I dropped my eyes away from their embrace. 'Some of the biggest packs in the country surround Aucteraden,' I mumbled, twisting my fingers tightly around the strap of my bag. I sighed, knowing my mood had nothing to do with them. I forced myself to smile as I asked in my receptionist's voice, 'Are you off on the ghost tour?'

Charles' head bobbed up and down, a grin splitting his face. 'I've been excited all day.'

'It really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.'

Belinda squinted at me, and she stuffed her hands deep into the pockets of her grey coat. 'How many times have you gone?'

I shook my head with a snort of laughter and ducked my head, smiling softly as nostalgia briefly swept the cold away. 'I will admit that it's been more than a one-time experience. I haven't been in years, though.'

'You should come with us.'

I'd been invited to the full moon celebrations when Jacobi had mentioned it a week ago, but I'd said no. We had been huddled at the back of our Maths class as the substitute teacher, Mr Forson, drivelled on about reciprocal trigonometric functions with such enthusiasm that we'd hardly protested at the secondary lecture.

I'd turned him down because I had forgotten what this celebration meant. It was Jacobi's final initiation into the pack, but it was easy to forget when the annual Bruma festival was on when they celebrated every month. I'd been reminded when Kendra had wished him a hurried 'good luck' over her shoulder as she flittered through the school doors a couple of hours ago. And then the panic set in.

I was utterly cold, but I knew I'd make Jacobi happy if I went. So the bus passed by, puffing out black clouds of smoke, spluttering sadly down the road while I texted Nanna.

I led, heading down the street towards Carmon, where she waited by the corner store with eight other tourists. 'Booked out again.' I called, watching her eyes spark as she looked up. 'I've got your last stragglers.'

'Hey.' She breathed, bundling me up into a hug. I held onto her for a little longer than necessary, trying desperately to squeeze the warmth from her, she caught on, laughing in my ear as a shiver raced down her spine, and she stepped back. 'You're so cold.'

'I know, right.' I rolled my eyes, shoving my hands under my armpits.

'You didn't have to bring my last two walkers down.' Her eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms over her chest, her voice low and secretive. 'You want something.'

Carmon had known me since I was born. She'd been my neighbour for most of my childhood and babysat us on more than one occasion. She had a knack for knowing when something wasn't right. 'Are you going to the Caeruleum Pack or the Vermiculo Pack?'

'Vermiculo.'

'Can I come.' I clasped my hands together, letting my desperation slip, pleading with little self-regard. 'I completely forgot that it was Bruma, which means Jacobi has his initiation tonight. He invited Kendra and me, but Kendra has to babysit, and I just...'

'Settle down.' Carmon dug the tips of her fingers into my shoulders, rattling me out of my subdued panic. 'The van sits fourteen anyway.'

The pressure slowly building in my chest all afternoon finally collapsed, and relief washed over me. The guilt had been like acid, pitting the inside of my stomach, and the flood of relief poured through my veins, filling the cavities of my chest, making it easier to breathe.

'Okay, everyone,' Carmon clapped her gloved hands together, her eyes blazing with mischief. 'Gather round, tonight we're going to learn the horrible truth that hides behind the sweet town of Aucteraden!'