99 ∞ dreamscape

Day Nineteen ∞ Late Tuesday evening

HOW BIG WAS THIS PLACE, anyway? Danny felt like there was no end to it. After ten minutes of walking, Dr. Kruger led them through a smoother, better-polished series of corridors until they arrived at a plain door with a peephole and a small, plain sign displaying "307".

"After you, Miss Wamba."

Danny touched Mickmi's arm. "Allow me." —As your Shield.

She dipped her head in approval.

He passed Kruger and suppressed the urge to whistle as he looked around the room. If he didn't know they were in a military underground base, he'd think he'd stepped into a different location entirely. Like a four-star hotel with its elegant furnishings and the foot a large bed peeking from behind a folding screen. 

Three doors drew his attention. He tested the handle of the nearest one. It revealed a pristine bathroom with a tub. The other two facing each other opened to adjoining suites that looked just as comfortable.

Okay, it seems safe.

"As you can see," Kruger said as Mickmi, Selina, and Artemae entered, "these rooms are in a private section, away from other rooms. You can choose whether you want to keep the communicating doors open or closed to rest in privacy. There are refreshments in the bar, and all you need to make coffee or tea."

Mickmi turned to him, gesturing to her chest. "I thank you, Doctor Kruger. We shall retire for the night. We will see you tomorrow, at six o'clock? We would like your help with the volunteers' selection if it imposes not too much on you."

"Not at all, Miss Wamba, not at all. I want to help. I'll be here at six to accompany you to breakfast." 

Bogdanov, who remained at the entrance, spoke up, "If you don't mind, Miroshka, I'd like to be there, too. Usually we are left out of many things, so I want to take the opportunity to be in on the loop as much as possible."

"I would expect no less, Doctor Bogdanov."

The researchers took their leave, and as the door clicked shut, Mickmi invited all to the deep leather couches around the glass table. Danny sank into the twin couch nearest to her right.

"I think it is time we decide on our next actions and reach a consensus." Nodding to Artemae, Mickmi continued, "Artemae, please secure our privacy. Make sure we can not be recorded."

Artemae sat up, her gaze fixed at a point in the air. —Processing. Assessing environmental factors... Targets identified... Targets neutralized. Privacy shield in place. Sound, images and mental emanations isolated. "Privacy filters on."

"Thank you." Mickmi brought her hands up to cradle the sides of her head and slid the elaborate circlet off her ears and head, her bangs falling into place. Artemae jumped up to take it from her but Mickmi waved her off, resting it on the table between them.

"Now we can speak without interference." Animated and relieved to have her head free, Mickmi turned to Selina. "Would you please tell us more about the interdimensional beings you met?"

Selina nodded in deference. "Of course, my Queen. The ones I met are humanoids, though not human. They are more technologically advanced than us, as well as vastly more advanced mentally and spiritually." She hesitated. "I spent not as much time communicating with them as I should. Even so, I learned they observe this planet very closely. They are concerned with the direction this civilization is taking. At the moment, they are only observers. I felt they are reluctant to interfere. I also felt they will, should the situation take a direction which they think justifies a more direct approach."