Reclaimed

Damien drove back home feeling accomplished and finally free of the stress that was brought on by Liam and his fantasies.

However, when he pulled into the driveway of his house, his brows furrowed at the sight of an unknown car parked crookedly on the asphalt.

Immediately, his guard went up and a hand went to the passenger seat to grab his gun on top of his suit jacket.

"I swear to God, after this, I'm moving." He mumbled under his breath.

He closed the car door quietly after his exit, as to not alert whoever was inside. His thoughts flashed over to Mia and his heart froze in his chest. He forgot that he'd left her in there.

Quickening his steps, he unlocked the front door and cringed at the little squeak it made upon opening.

It's amazing how you don't realize how loud everything is until it's quiet.

Damien took soft steps around the lower floor of his house, his gun raised while he searched. Each closed door made his heart race until he opened it and found the room empty. When he confirmed that the lower levels of his house were clear, he was starting to feel a bit better.

Maybe Mia had went somewhere. It was just past 11am, so she could've gotten up and left the house.

Some of the steps creaked as Damien started walking up the stairs and he tried to keep his breathing even to minimize the noise. His head spun back and forth, constantly checking his rear end to make sure that no one was going to ambush him from behind.

Finally, he made it to the top of his stairs and although he was fairly calm before, he could feel beads of sweat forming on his forehead- successfully sticking some of his brown strands to his skin.

His bedroom door was closed.

If Mia had left the house, surely it would be open?

With a clench of his jaw, he gingerly turned the knob with his free hand and pushed the door open.

He had to stumble back at the sight.

Brody stood over a sleeping Mia, with a gun hovering over her temple.

Damien's throat felt dry and his hands grew clammy as nerves set in. For the first time in his life, he wasn't able to hide his emotions. He didn't even think he could if he tried.

"What are you doing?" Damien asked calmly. At least that was what he was going for. If you listened really closely, you could hear the slight waver in his voice; it was an indication of unsureness, vulnerability—weakness.

"He told me to do it." Brody whispered harshly. Now that Damien was looking at him, his expression almost mirrored his own. He looked flustered and erratic- quite the opposite of stability. "H-he said if I don't do it then he'll kill my girlfriend a-and her daughter." He choked. Brody readjusted the gun in his hands and switched the safety off. "I'm sorry." He said, flickering his eyes to meet Damien's. "But I have to do it."

Damien took a step forward and Brody flinched, turning the gun towards him. Damien raised his hands up in surrender and emptied his ammunition on the carpeted floor.

"Listen to me." Damien started. "I killed him, Liam's dead. No one is going to hurt your family Brody, but they are going to lose you if you pull that trigger."

Brody's eyes widened and his armed hand shook but still, he refused to lower the weapon.

"H-how can you be sure that he doesn't have people ready to kill them the moment I put down this gun." He hissed. "I rather put my life on the line than theirs. Anytime."