-8-

I wake up almost 30 minutes late, falling out of bed and jumping in the shower. I sprint through my morning routine, downing a pair of Advil and grabbing an apple for the walk to the theatre. It's going to have to be more like a speed walk if I want to stop for coffee.

I walk into the theatre only a couple minutes behind schedule with a coffee in hand.

"Y/n! Hey, so we wanted to run through with the handhelds today if that works?" Tom jogs up to me. I pull off my coat and put my coffee down.

"Uh yeah that should work, lemme grab them." I turn on the board and then unlock the cabinet beneath it, pulling out two handheld microphones for Jake and Tom. I flip them on, push up their sliders on the board and test them.

"They should be good to go!" I say,

"Great! Thanks Y/n/n!" Tom rushes down to the stage, jumping up. I watch him hand Jake a microphone. I figure I can watch the first run through, I don't have too too much to do today and it might be good to help me program in some scenes.

They run through the first act, scripts in one hand, mics in the other. It looks great for our second week. I figure once the whole show comes together it'll be simple and still emotionally touching. At least that's the hope.

The actors break for "intermission", Tom and Jake heading backstage. It's a little bit lonely without Chris around, having such a small crew is a big change but I don't mind it all that much. As soon and Chris is back from his visit upstate I'll hardly have any complaints.

I decide to run out for more coffee, texting the group chat to see if anyone wants anything. With such a small production I don't mind covering everyone's coffee charge. I get a few responses and head to the nearest coffee spot, returning with two trays of coffee. I go around the theatre passing out the orders and then get myself situated at the soundboard again. The actors finish their coffee and dive into act two.

I'm fairly exhausted by the end of the day, the actors ran through the show and then went to their acting coaches for a few hours and then ran through one more time and then they headed out. Jake offered little more than a wave as he left, I know I shouldn't expect anything more but I was definitely a little bit disappointed. Especially considering I was stuck in the theatre for another 4 hours thanks to a problem with the pit band mics.

4 hours turn into even more than that and I don't leave until almost 9pm. Which isn't a particularly long day but off of the sleep I got last night I feel dead. I get home and make myself a bowl of cereal for dinner, wishing yet again I had a dog to greet me at the door and cuddle up with me tonight. The apartment feels lonely.

As I'm climbing into bed my phone rings, i grab it and pick up,

"Y/n!" Jenna practically yells.

"Jenna!" I mimic her greeting,

"You didn't call me!" She says, shit, she's right I completely forgot to call her.

"Shit sorry." I say,

"Don't worry just spill!!" She responds, I laugh,

"Oh my god Jenna." I say, I hear her waiting for me to continue. "Alright fine. I work with him, he's in the play we're putting on right now." I say.

"Oh so Jake Gyllenhaal is just your super casual coworker who picked us up off the street and punched a guy for you!" She scoffs, I smile,

"Yup." I say,

"Y/n! Come on please." She begs, I laugh, Jenna can get almost anything out of me.

"We're just friends Jen, I swear to god! He stayed on my couch the other night cause his building was swarmed with paparazzi and he took me out for dinner as a thank you and that's it!" I say, a bit of disappointment settling in my stomach as I realize that is it... we're barely even friends, he didn't even talk to me today! What did I think was happening, he was just being friendly. Of course he was.

"Ok Y/n/n, if you say so." Jenna responds, "but he did punch a guy for you..." she reiterates. I laugh, and that's pretty much the end of the subject. We talk for a little while more and then say goodnight. I barely even write before passing out. I don't need to go in for work tomorrow, as of today we're back on an "on demand" schedule, which means that up until the month or so before opening night we won't be in everyday. It also means I really need to find a steady second job.

-

I wake up around 11, I debate whether or not to spend the day in bed or get up and start the job search. Eventually my productive side kicks my lazy side to the curb... or more like the side of me that wants to pay rent kicks the lazy side of me to the curb. I grab my laptop and sit in bed for a while looking for job postings, I even browse a few audition callings.

Eventually I get out of bed and pull on a warm outfit that still a little "business casual".  I grab some breakfast and then start through the list I've made of places hiring. I walk through the city from door to door, going in, picking up packets and forms, talking to managers and mentally building a list of "its possible" jobs and a stack of "not happening".

I'm sitting in a coffee shop refueling and reheating when my phone rings, I pull it out of my pocket and glance at the caller ID, smiling and answering.

"Hey Jake!" I say, surprised he called me.

"Hey y/n. I had a lot of fun with you the other night and I, I dunno I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight?" He says, i almost don't believe it's him on the other side of the line. I've never heard him sound so... nervous.

"Like as a date." He says, I realize I had been quiet for a moment, I don't know wha to say. I mean I know what I want to say, but I don't know how to say it!

"That sounds great! I'd love to." I say, was that too enthusiastic?

"Really? Alright cool!" Jake sounds even more enthusiastic than I did and I immediately feel better about it.

"Do you like pool?" He asks, I smile,

"Yeah why?"

"I know a spot, are you free tonight?"

"Yeah I am." I say,

"Great, do you want me to pick you up at your place? We could meet somewhere or-" he starts, I smile to myself as he speaks excitedly,

"I feel like you're always picking me up, I can meet you somewhere?"

"It's not a problem really!" He says,

"Alright sure." I say, "thank you." We figure out the rest of the plan and then hang up. I step out of the coffee shop an hour later and decide to head home and get ready, the job search will have to continue tomorrow. I head home and get ready for my date tonight!