Going For A Swim

"(Y/n)!" Richie shouted as he hopped off of our front porch where he was sitting with the rest of our little group, now including Ben.

Richie threw his arms around me and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "(Y/n), I didn't mean to call you a slut!"

"Richie, it's fine. I started the fight, I should be the one to apologize, but I'm not going to." I laughed, hugging him back.

"(Y/n) is your face okay?" Stan asked, moving off of the porch as Richie let me go.

My hand came up to touch the bandage on my cheekbone, "Yeah, Bev patched me up."

"Looks like she did a pretty good job." Eddie nodded, patting Bev on the back

"Nurse Marsh might just take your job, Dr. K." I laughed. Then, I noticed Bill was still hanging back on the porch swing.

"Don't go getting her hopes up." Eddie nudged me.

"I'll try not to." I laughed along. We we're all surprisingly chill after what happened in the alley.

"Anyway, now that I know you're safe, I have to head back to the temple and do my Torah readings, my dad is gonna kill me if I don't get this right." Stan said, giving me a quick hug before hopping on his bike and riding off down the street.

"Yeah, my mom is gonna start worrying if I don't head on home. A game of croquet doesn't take this long." Eddie nodded, waving goodbye before grabbing his bike off our front lawn and going in the opposite direction Stan did.

"Let me guess, Bev, you have to go too?" I asked, hoping the answer was no. It was nice to spend a little bit of time with another girl my age.

"Yeah sorry, Little Tozier, I've got to head on home. I've got some things to take care of." She said, holding up her bag from the pharmacy.

"Right, well, I'll still see you at the quarry tomorrow?" I asked.

"I wouldn't miss it." She nodded, messing up my hair again before taking off down the street.

"You know mom is going to kill you when she finds out what you did to my face." I giggled as I shoved him playfully.

"You're going to tell her?" Richie asked, his eyes looking even bigger than usual behind his thick plastic frames.

"Maybe not, if you do something for me." I said, hoping to talk to Bill alone.

"Anything! What do I need to do?" He asked.

"Go upstairs and clean my room. Mom's been asking me to do it for days." I shrugged.

"Got it!" He nodded and disappeared into the house.

I walked onto the porch and sat down on the porch swing next to Bill. We didn't say anything for a few minutes, but I knew that if we didn't talk soon that Richie would come back and bother us.

"So um-"

"I was-"

"Sorry, you go first." I nodded.

"I was g-g-go-gonna go after y-you earlier, but Bev told me n-not to." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's okay, Bill. I think it's better that she came in the long run." I nodded, resting my still bandaged hand on his hand that was gripping the bottom of the porch swing.

"W-why is that?" He asked, sounding almost a little disappointed.

"Bill, things between us have been kind of awkward these last few months, and I don't know why." Bill and I used to be the best of friends, but a few months ago he started acting different so, Stan and I started hanging out more.