04 | Stolen Riches

June 5th, 1989

You pedaled your bike rapidly to keep pace with everyone. You tried to block out Eddie's ranting, but it was a nearly impossible task. He was loud and clear, per usual. You would think about punching his lights out if you didn't find it just the slightest bit comedic.

"I think it's great that we're helping the new kid but we also need to think about our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding all over and you guys know there's an AIDS epidemic happening right now as we speak? I mean— my mom's friend in New York City got it just by touching a dirty pole in the subway and he got AIDS blood into his system through a hangnail, a hangnail! And they can amputate legs and arms. But how do you amputate a wai— HOW DO YOU AMPUTATE A WAIST?" He screamed the last part of the sentence.

You sighed.  "Eddie, New York City is a shithole. You know that, right? There are rats and shit— "

"Shut up." Eddie interrupted you. "You guys do know that alleys are known for dirty needles that have AIDS, right? You guys do know that?" Bill helped the boy get off his bike as Eddie rambled on. "Hey— "

"Aw, we're screwed." Stan rightfully stated. After all, you guys had no idea what to do with a kid who might be dying from fucking blood loss, oh God— 

"Richie, stay here. Come on." Bill interrupted your thoughts as he pointed to the rest of you. You all ran off, you whispering an apology to Richie, feeling bad he had to linger with the kid who was possibly bleeding out. It could not be good for the adolescent brain to see someone die so young.

You heard the faint sound of Richie commenting. "Glad I got to meet you before you died."

Then, silence.

─────────────────

You watched intently as Eddie shovel a variety of items into his arms, while Stan was preoccupied counting money. You and Bill lingered in the aisle, though you were tempted to run outside and back home, your stomach lurching at what you'd seen.

"Can we afford all that?" Bill asked, startling you from your thoughts. He looked at everything piled in Eddie's small hand and the stack of cash clenched in Stan's palm.

"It's all we got." Said Stan, holding up his bills for show.

"Do you wanna get robbed?" You hissed, and Stan lowered the money back into his pocket nervously. You sighed, leaning against a display full of different medicine before changing the subject. "Actually, uhm, I might..." You checked the compartments of your outfit,  only managing to find a single bill. You sighed dejectedly. "That's all I have. Sorry, guys." You pressed the bill into Stan's hand.

He took it. "It's fine, [Y/N]. At least we're a bit closer." You smiled weakly.

"You kidding me?" Eddie asked, sounding more sad than irritated.

"Wait, you have an account here, don't you?" Bill questioned. You wouldn't be surprised if Eddie did have an account at a pharmacy, considering he (or maybe, just his mother) seemed to be a bit of a health nut.

Eddie almost whispered his response. "If my mom finds out I bought all this stuff for myself..." He paused. "I'm spending the whole rest of the weekend in the emergency room getting x-rayed." You cringed. 

That sounded festive. Fuck video games, right? You wanted a CAT scan. 

You heard a girl faintly speak a goodbye to her father and footsteps sound in the opposite direction of your group, before another girl with fiery red hair swiftly walked to the aisle you were all in.  You all turned to look at her.