xxvi. the sauna test

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:THE SAUNA TEST

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:
THE SAUNA TEST

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THEY WAITED HOURS for the pool to close and for the sun to go down. It was almost scary being the only ones at the pool at night. Liz didn't think it would be creepy since it was only the community pool, a place she had been multiple times, but it still freaked her out a little bit. Max could tell Liz was a little nervous and so, as they hid behind lockers, Max and Liz stayed beside each other and Max held Liz's hand. Liz could tell that Max was nervous as well but for entirely different reasons.

   Billy was taking a shower as the group hid. It was only a few minutes before the shower was shut off and he went over to the lockers to get dressed. He was putting on a pair of red swim trunks when Mike slammed one of the doors, getting Billy's attention, "Pool's closed." He slammed the door once more, which seemed to make Billy angrier but got him away from the locker and towards the room they were going to lock him in. "Hey. Do you hear me? Pool is closed!"

   The door to leave the men's locker room was locked, of course, courtesy of Lucas, which Billy soon found out. He hit the door a few times, trying to get it open but to no avail. That was when Will ran out of his hiding spot and hit the lights. Liz heard Billy slowly start to move away from the door, "Who's there?"

   From Mike's hiding spot, he spoke into the walkie-talkie that was connected to another walkie-talkie in the sauna where they wanted Billy to go, "Billy!"

   "Who's there?" Billy called out. He ripped open one of the shower curtains, finding no one. Liz and Max peeked out from their spot and watched as Billy slowly made his way closer to the sauna room which was in the male gym. "You think this is funny, huh?"

   "Billy," Mike continued to tease. "Come and find me."

   "I find you, it is your funeral."

   "Come and get me!" Mike continued. "Come on!"

   As Billy went into the gym, Liz and Max left their hiding spot along with the rest of the group. They all stood at the door to the gym and watched as Billy spotted the dummy they placed in the sauna. Billy started to laugh and clap, which Liz found really weird. Mike smirked, "Come and get me, you piece of shit!"

   Liz watched from the window as Billy grabbed the dummy by the neck and lifted it into the air, clearly pissed off. That was when Mike sent Eleven in. She entered the room quietly, standing a few feet behind Billy. Mike spoke into the walkie-talkie once more, "Hey. Behind you."

   Billy dropped the dummy and whipped around, seeing Eleven, "Hi." Billy started to walk towards her but Eleven whipped her head up, throwing Billy against the wall with her powers. Billy hit the wall hard, the tile cracking and falling onto the floor.