19 | SAUDADE

SAUDADE
(n.) a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia

TESSA SHOULD'VE KEPT HER MOUTH SHUT. At eight o'clock, the four headed to the Great Hall where a golden stage had appeared with a thousand candles floating above. The dining tables were gone, and the starry ceiling was replaced with a velvety black. She had made another joke to Ron about dueling Pansy Parkinson under the supervision of Gilderoy Lockhart, when two people walked onto the stage — Lockhart and Snape.

     "Well this is just excellent," Tessa said sarcastically. "Two of my favorite professors — what're the odds?"

Lockhart waved an arm around and said loudly, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone," he paused dramatically, "see me? Can you all," another pause, "hear me? Excellent!"

     This invoked several exaggerated gasps from the girls in the audience who've come to watch him, and Tessa rolled her eyes.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works. Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," he waved a hand to Snape whose lip curled distastefully. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry — you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Tessa snorted. "I'm pretty sure it'll end up in Snape maiming Lockhart instead."

"Wouldn't it be good if they finished each other off?" Ron joined in.

     Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them. "As you see," Lockhart explained to the silent, observing crowd, "we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

     "I wouldn't bet on that," Harry murmured, taking note of Snape's bashing teeth.

     "One — two — three —"

     They raised their wands above their heads towards the other, and Snape cried out before Lockhart could even open his mouth, "Expelliarmus!" There was a flash of scarlet light and Lockhart was blown off his feet as he flew backward and smacked against the wall.

     Tessa cheered along with the Slytherins, turning to face her friends when she caught the gleeful eye of Draco Malfoy. The two paused for a moment, both had happy beaming faces for a split second before they glared at each other, though there was a hint of amusement in their eyes. They looked away from each other in unison as Tessa faced her friends.

     Hermione looked awfully worried. "Do you think he's all right?"

     "Who cares?" Harry and Ron replied together, similar grins on their faces.

     Lockhart got to his feet, slightly wobbling as his wavy hair stood on every end. "Well, there you have it!" He tottered back onto the platform. "That was a Disarming Charm — as you see, I've lost my wand — ah, thank you, Miss Brown — yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy — however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see . . ."

     If looks could kill, Snape would have murdered and buried Lockhart all at one by now.

     The latter noticed and squeaked out, "Enough demonstrating! I'm going to come amongst you now and put you all into pairs. Professor Snape, if you'd like to help me —"