FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
PST!

IT WAS THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

IT WAS THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM. Tina's Halloween party was later that night and the entire school was buzzing with anticipation. The hallways were alive with conversation; everyone was talking about it. People discussed their costumes and what they would be. They formulated plans for the night and assigned designated drivers. But the most common topic of conversation (among Diana's friends at least) was who planned to hook up with who.

Vicki's desire for Billy Hargrove was all she could talk about as she stood beside Diana's locker. It was the last thing the Blake girl wanted to hear—not because she didn't care for Vicki's love life, but because hearing someone speak about Billy in that way made her uncomfortable. Nevertheless, she allowed her friend to ramble on until the bell rang, periodically let out a 'mhm' and 'yeah' to show that she was listening even though she wasn't.

Walking into her first class, Diana saw that Billy was sitting with a group of boys on the basketball team. They were huddled in the back, half of them sitting on empty desks. They tossed a basketball back and forth, shouting far too early in the morning to be considered sane. She didn't think much of Billy's new friend group, concluding that he decided to ditch the seat beside to her in favour for them. She sat as the bell rang.

Mr. Morales walked into the room a few moments later. "Good morning, class," he greeted, setting his briefcase on his desk. The chattering of excited teenagers died down and Billy made his way to his spot next to Diana. He gave her a boyish grin as he sat down.

Before the older man could continue, the door burst open. Robin, the girl who usually sat beside Diana, rushed in. "Sorry for being late, I wasn't feeling good these past few days and, uh, I'm just going to sit down now," she breathlessly said as she passed the teacher's desk. She came to an abrupt stop when she saw that her seat had been taken. Sending a questionable look at Diana, she continued down the aisle and took one of the seats in the back.

Mr. Morales waited before starting again. Looking out at his class he said, "I trust that you all picked your topics." No one answered. The only response he received was Diana nodding while absentmindedly staring out the window. After spotted her small movement, he clicked his tongue and scanned the classroom with a disappointed expression. "Well since Diana and Billy are the only pair who have their topic picked out, they get extra bonus points on their next test."

There was a groan of protest and the class commenced. Towards the end of the lesson, Diana felt a tap on her arm.

"Pst!"

This time, Billy poked her.

"Hey."

Diana tried her best to ignore him as he ripped the eraser off his pencil and threw it at her. Fighting the urge to smack his hand away, she whispered a sharp, "Stop it."