6: Jealousy, Betrayal and Games

-The sky was twinkling above her tears-

A canvas of colors...a sparkling new day...and moments to praise the arrival of new opportunities, I was feeling giddy and exhilarated as my feet guided me through the live royal-cultural festival. Behlul and Hammad had invited several rich and powerful families from across the globe to celebrate this festival. The air was filled with subtle shinning of gold, silver, diamond jewels, and the sound of heels being clicked against the floor.

There were tents set in different corners of the Island's luscious garden. Samiya Begum was already lost somewhere in the crowd, while I was subtly looking for Demir. I hadn't seen him since breakfast. 

After our morning walk, the other day, he had been avoiding everyone. Samiya Begum had told Sonia and Aliya that he was just arranging the crown for the grand crowning ceremony, but I felt like there was something more. 

Demir...his actions couldn't be deciphered.

Lurking around, I was eyeing each cultural tent from a mere distance. The smell of unique and diverse cooked dishes was floating in the air. One-bites were even been served to the crowd walking around. I could find myself floating in the delicious scent. 

My diet had forced me to treat delicious calories as a luxury. 

Fancy hats were obscuring my view, cool sunglasses were been seen around, making every rich person seem the same and fans were waved by helpers to keep each person cool and comfy. Also, the sky was subtly covered by grey clouds, which made the weather seem quite pleasant and chilly. I was loving the aura of this festival. 

The crowning ceremony was to take place inside the Island mansion, right after dinner. The thrill of witnessing a real-life crowning ceremony had caught me beaming with excitement. I had always dreamed of attending a royal function. 

This was it. 

Gleaming, as I skipped through the dignified crowd while watching many ladies stop in front of the Egyptian art exhibit and decipher its meaning, my heart turned a bit soiled and reserved at the sight of Sonia and Aliya standing before the Spanish stall, smoothly conversing in that language. Both of them probably knew more than 10 languages.

Back at the mansion, Samiya Begum had arranged for the infamous Madam Rosia to tutor Sonia and make her well-versed in different languages. Aliya would often attend those classes, too. Demir had to learn several languages for business purposes. Madam Geena used to beam with pride as she boasted about her grandson's high intellect to me. 

Back then, I politely listened because I believed that Madam Geena was just one of those rich old ladies who yearned for the love of her proud family and was simply lonely. Turns out, she was just setting the ground for fixing my marriage with her spoiled grandson. She made me stick to her promise and then left me alone to carry the burden. Somehow, my heart was begrudgingly hurt by her actions. She could have told me that she didn't have much time...could have told me about her own pain. But she didn't. She didn't even give me a chance to say goodbye. 

I was going to visit her soon. 

Watching as Sonia and Aliya conveniently conversed with some Spanish 'Madam Moselle', I began skipping towards the other tents. 

I was subtly looking for Demir. Under every shadow, behind every person, I was imagining him. It was insane.

The rosy breeze and delicious aroma of food pushed me to cling with pure and happy emotions. I wanted to share my happiness with my husband and be joyful with him around.

Wanting to randomly throw my hands in the air, I found myself stopping at several tents; the marvellous Pakistani tent was full of traditional clothes and souvenirs. They were even sharing Urdu phrases with the crowd. I beamed at that. Beautiful. Also, there was this delicious scent of biryani and samosas drifting from that tent which made me linger near it.