13

I stood behind the wall that begun the hallway into the living space, as Alec walked over to Maryse, "Have you spoken with Lydia? No one's seen her since the wedding."

When Maryse doesn't say a word, Alec sighs, "Mom, come on."

Robert joins in, "Maryse."

"Mom, I understand you're upset, but this is-" Alec began to speak, but Maryse had cut him off.

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing but kissing her in front of the entire Institute?" Maryse's tone was laced with disapproval, "You've embarrassed all of us."

"Why?" Alec questioned, "What's the problem?"

"That you chose Zee Young." Maryse was giving him crap for it, making me feel even more guilty for Alec, "She is the daughter of our biggest threat, do you know how that makes us look? One of the most respected, choosing one who could be a traitor?"

"I know what type of woman Zee is." Alec defended me, "Just because Valentine is her father, does not mean she's anything like him, or is aiding him. I plan on growing a relationship with her, and if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you deal with it."

My heart warmed at his words, then he steps back, "Now, I have to go find Lydia."

"She's probably packing for Idris in your father's office." Maryse stares at him, "What she did-"

"Saved my life." Alec cuts her off, "So I should go thank her."

Alec leaves Robert and Maryse, walking over to me, now out of their sight.

"On a scale of one to ten how unpleasant do you think that was?" I instantly question, my eyes scanning his face for any signs of hurt or regret.

"Off the charts." Alec exhales, "I've never seen them so angry."

"I'm so sorry-" I push myself up to my tippy toes and engulf him into a hug, sighing deeply, "Just give them some time."

Alec held onto me for a few seconds, then pulled away, "After what I did- I don't think they'll ever forgive me."

"Don't say that-" I sympathetically say, crossing my arms, "They're your parents- it'll take time, but they will forgive you."

Alec sighed, starting to walk down the hall with me, "I can only hope."

"Alec-" I swallow, "You don't uhm-"

"Don't what?" Alec looks at me, stopping.

I begged the question that was burning in my mind, "You don't regret it, do you?"

Alec shook his head, "No- I don't, not at all."

I don't push it further, nodding in acceptance of his answer.

"I feel really guilty-" I inhale deeply, walking down the hall with him towards Robert's office, "I mean- I ruined her wedding. I mean- of course- good did come out of that- cause I mean, us- but I just wanna make sure Lydia's okay."

"Yeah- me too-" Alec's nod in agreement, "I owe her so much."

"We owe her." I correct him, "Whatever's between us- I feel like it's finally here, you know? When you got engaged to Lydia, it was like I lost my chance. But- it's here. And it's because of her."

Alec nods, gently smiling at me, "Why don't we start with that date?"

"Yeah, let's do that-" I exhale, giving him a hopeful smile, opening the door of Robert's office, my eyes instantly landing on Lydia, who was on the ground, the table crushed beneath her.