Lava Java (3)

Mia, to which Aki assumed to be the name of the staff in front of him, looked like she was having a field day as her eyes glinted with mischief and amusement, watching cooly as Liam narrowed his eyes on her. It was as though this kind of banter was a regular thing between them.

"Aww, just when I was talking to a cutie!"

"Mia," Lim said, his tone warning.

Aki thought he heard a low growl from Liam. His eyes kept on switching back and forth between Mia and Liam. He had never seen Liam looking severe that even Aki felt frightened. But Mia only smiled even wider.

"What? Is he your friend?" She stared up at Liam, faking surprise. She sat back and crossed her arms, looking aggrieved. "Why are you hogging all the cuties?"

Liam ignored her and turned to Aki, his features softening. "What happened? Does your head still hurt? I'll bring you a cup of coffee. Or are you in a mood for sweets?" The corners of his mouth rose, just a tiny bit of curve but it was still there nonetheless. "Oh, but you are always in the mood for sweets."

Aki grinned back despite himself, feeling like they were sharing a private joke and he loved it. "I'm okay! Thanks to your soup. And about the sweets, I'll have to pass."

"Wait, what? Is this your roommate?" Mia ceremoniously waved a hand on Aki's direction.

Liam glanced at her as if sending yet another warning, then continued talking to Aki as if Mia did not speak. "I'll prepare something for you in a bit."

"What is this? You won't even introduce him to me? Wow, rude." Mia's eyes practically danced with glee seeing Liam's darkened expression. She seemed ecstatic using this moment to tease him.

Liam clicked his tongue. "Mia, this is Aki. Aki, this is Mia. Alright, now you know each other, you can now go and make that cake." Then he smiled at Aki. "I'll be back in a minute."

Liam turned on his heels to greet the customers who had arrived. Mia followed behind him but not before winking at Aki. After watching their exchange, Aki wondered about Mia and Liam's relationship. Could she be the girlfriend? Everything about Mia was dainty except for her pixie haircut that gave off an edgy feel. But she was larger than life. She looked like a queen. There must be hordes of suitors stumbling over her feet. Yet...

'No. it doesn't feel right.'

With her face and personality, it was not impossible for Liam to fall for her. They looked good together even. But they seemed more like siblings, like Aki and Rina.

Aki abandoned that line of thinking. Thinking made him hungrier and it did not help that delicious aroma kept wafting to his direction. With nothing better to do, he decided to check out the books on the shelf. It contained self-help books, magazines, and newspapers. He ran his fingers on the book spines. There were books that he wanted to read before but never had the time. He was either partying or nursing his hungover after a night out with Zy. Now he could try and read them. He took out one book and got back to his seat.

Since his table was pretty secluded, he read in peace. Every once in a while he would glance outside the window, just enjoying the feeling.

'This is heaven.'