Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Amina's POV

It took maybe three seconds before I recognized where I was, the swirling blues and purples that made up the sky were a dead give away, but the woman dressed in a flowing white gown confirmed my suspicions.

"Am I dead?"

She pursed her lips, an almost amused look on her face.

"Yes."

Great.

"I'm really dead this time?"

"Yes."

Her one word answers were really starting to get on my nerves.

"Well, what do I do now?"

She raised one perfect eyebrow.

"You've fulfilled my purpose for you, you have nothing else to live for."

The words were familiar to me, but she hadn't been the one to say them. They were my words, words that I'd said to myself over the years. But that was before, before I grew comfortable with Titus, before I found my family, before I made any friends, before I became a mother. Those were the words of the version of me that had lost her will to live. That girl didn't exist anymore though. Now I had so much to live for, I've been through far too much in life to have it end now.

"I may have fulfilled your purpose, but I haven't fulfilled mine."

She laughed lowly, a pleasant ringing of bells almost.

"You've given a purpose for yourself? And what might that purpose be?"

"I haven't gotten the chance to truly live my life without some kind of danger hanging over my head. It's not fair that once the danger is gone, I lose my life. I have a family, one that needs me and that I need. Please, don't take that away from me. You say that I've fulfilled your purpose right?"

"I did."

"Then reward me, I've accomplished your task now reward me with my life. Give me the chance to truly live."

"You know, when I was young, I lost my mother to a rogue attack."

She chuckled lowly at my shocked expression.

"Hmm, I forget it isn't known that the Moon Goddess is like your mortal practices of monarchy, a successor is chosen sometimes thousands of years before they're born. I've been the goddess for the last six hundred years or so. That's unimportant right now so back to my story. When I was a child, my mother was murdered in a rogue attack and my father fell into a deep depression. He became a drunkard once he was informed of an old practice of adding vampire venom in small doses to his drinks, it gives the same feeling as alcohol on humans. I do believe now that my father loved me, just as he had before my mother died but there's something about a mother's love that can never be replaced, especially when you love them dearly. I say all this to say that it would be hypocritical of me to take a mother away from her children, because a mother's love is unmatched."

She was closer to me now, close enough to touch, and she did just that as she ran her knuckles gently down my face.

"You remind me of my mother Amina."

Near us, a slab of smooth, clear crystal rose from seemingly out of nowhere.

"Please, lie down and just relax."

I hesitated but did as I was told. As I laid there, Amethyst laid a cool hand on my forehead.

"Have you chosen one? A successor I mean."