Chapter Two

Saturday, August 10th, 2019

Sheila

    I made it to the campsite and started a fire before the sun had fallen under the horizon. I sat at the base of a tree, my bag in between my open legs. I stared deep into the fire watching the flames lick at the sky.

    "Don't touch me!"

     The words sent chills down my spine. "It's just a memory," I reassured myself as I took in a shaky breath to calm myself. The words were over twelves years old, though the wounds that it had created are still fresh.

     "Why not?"

     "You're a cursed child! Don't touch anyone ever!"

     "Stop!" I shouted into the darkness. I heard the birds perched overhead startle and flap their wings. I stood and started to pace around the fire in a circle. "They are just memories, they shouldn't be affecting you," I told myself, though it was no use, the roots ran deep into my soul.

     "I can't hurt anyone out here anyways." I looked around, there was nothing but darkness surrounding me. I used to hate the darkness when I was younger, now it soothes me. There could be creatures in it, yes, scary like me. Maybe they just want a friend.

    "I just want a friend." It's a plea that has gotten me through the last twelve years. I raised my hands to my face, covering my eyes. I slumped to the ground, I wanted to cry, I wanted to feel the emotions that Alpha feels, but I don't know how too.

     The people in books have emotions too. Why can't I feel them? Can I feel happy? I know the feeling of being excited, I felt that when Alpha came to me three weeks ago on my eighteenth birthday, telling me I have the option to leave.

    I thought back to the house. The beautiful garden, my treasure, that grew in the back. Pumpkins, grapes, watermelon, lettuce, cucumber, apple trees, lemon trees, the old well, I missed it.

    "No. In the place we are going, I can make that, I just got to keep going!" I tried to motivate myself, though there was a hole inside of me. A hole I knew could only be filled with by love, of a garden, the way plants smile up at you when they are watered, of creatures that look after you.

     "Stop looking at me," she hissed, using her ruler to tap the book on plants in front of me.

     I looked down, I smiled on the instructions to care for Lilacs. Teachers love for me was always tough, she can't touch me, nor give me her name. I can't look at her as well, but I think she likes me.

--

    I woke to the birds chirping and the sun already a quarter way in the sky. The fire had gone out last night, only cinders were left in its place. I stood and dusted myself off. I walked over to my bag, reaching down with one hand. Pulling the bag over my shoulder, I walked, following the trail to my next destination.

    I walked for a while, following the trail for miles. I could have gone faster and farther in my wolf form, but I was too scared to shift. What if I came across a human? What if they look at me and drop dead from the curse? Their blood would be on my hands.

    The trail, I have found out, was made for the wolf form. I've been ducking under trees, dodging all the low hanging branches. "Ah!" I got yanked backward by the roots of my hair. I look back to see that a branch had caught it.

    Turning I raised my hand to the branch and untangled it. After that situation was solved I looked to the sky. The sun was about to dip under. I should have shifted. That was a mistake.

    I looked around for a place to settle for the night. After doing some off-roading for a few feet, I come across a beautiful lake. I run up too it, this was my first time seeing such a beautiful pool of water.

    I look down into the lake to see my reflection, "oh my gosh!" I squealed in delight, "it's just like in the books!" I dropped to my knees and touched the water. It sent ripples all the way to the other edge of the lake.

     I looked deeper into the water, wondering if it would be safe if I decided to jump in. I decided against it, I would be freezing if I jumped in, the sun was about to set, maybe tomorrow.

     I took out my map that Alpha had handed me two weeks ago, I've been studying it religiously ever since I received it. Its was one of my only connections to the modern world. "There should be a cave just over there," I said to myself, putting down my map and looking right.

     I was surrounded by the beautiful mountains of Trention, the country in which was born. "I can't see it, but I'm sure if I keep walking," I started my pace, "I'll see it shortly enough."

    Shortly enough I came across this humungous hole in the side of the mountain. It was so large that it was concerning that I missed it in the first place. I rock scrambled up the side of the mountain. I pulled myself over the ledge and stood. I gazed deep into the dark cave.

    I looked over my shoulder to the trees below, "Maybe I should have brought fire up with me." I huffed, knowing I would have to make the trip down again. "I might as well explore, make sure its safe first." Before I had to do that hard labor.

     I heard a growl behind me. I swung my head back in the direction of the cave. "Don't be a bear, don't be a bear," I pleaded rising my hands to get ready to soothe the animal. I didn't want to shift, I really didn't, I try not to unless I truly have too.

     I saw steam erupt from the darkness, pooling at my feet. I scrambled back to the edge of the cave. If I fell it wouldn't be that bad because I wasn't that high up, but it would certainly hurt.

    There was a thunder of a step crunching against the rock, its claws scraping against the floor. I didn't know what a bear sounded like, but I'm sure it didn't sound like this. "I don't mean any harm, I'll leave, I was just passing through," I said, acting like it spoke English.

    Suddenly the sound stopped, and the air shifted. The wind blasted into my face sending my hair backward. What once was an unbearably loud crunch was now a soft shuffling of feet.

    Then I saw the silhouette of a person. A man. Then I saw his eyes, electric blue, bluer than any sky.

    I sucked in a breath.

    "Hello."

     Mate

--

Hello!!

Day Two! Completed!

Comment and Vote, please.

Who is this mysterious guy?

What do you think about her teacher? Do you think the teacher should have treated her better?

How about this journey, where do you think she is going?

Comment your thoughts!