epilogue

nine years later
  October 15th

Kaycee was sitting at the outside table of their backyard with Jia, helping the little one with homework — she noticed that her daughter was too quiet.

When outside, Jia was just like her mother: a sweet and shy girl; but when at home, she couldn't be more like her dad: as talkative and extra as Sean could be. Always curious to learn about everything.

So the fact that she was so quiet caught Kaycee's attention. 

"Is everything alright, bubi?" Asked Kaycee and the girl just nodded. "Why do I sense a little liar?" She asked again, poking the girl's belly and gaining a little smile.

A fake smile, she could tell right away.  "It's alright if you don't want to tell me, but you know that mommy can't help you if you don't tell me... and believe me, things have a huge potential of getting better with the help of someone else, especially if that someone it's a mommy."

Jia smiled for real now, because... well she loved Kaycee and she knew how true that sentence was: there was nothing her mom couldn't make better.

Almost ten years isn't much life, she was just begging but she already knew for a fact that her mom was basically a superhero... sometimes even better than one —  only her mom knew how to soothe her after a nightmare. Only her mom knew how to make a bubu go away. Only her mom knew how to make the best braids. And only her mom knew how to make her socks warm and cozy.

The only thing her mom wasn't good at was making delicious food... but for that Jia had her dad, and he could be just as amazing as her mom — that's another fact she already learned in her nine years and eight months of existence.

"Why don't you try telling me?" Kaycee asked as they left the homework aside and Jia nodded, before taking a deep breath.

"It's just some girls at school." She said.

And Kaycee frowned, afraid that the "bullying-situation" was already trouble in her daughter's life — the woman had her stories with it too, way more than she would like to be honest, but most of them from when she was at the beginning of her teenage years... she didn't expect for her baby to be facing bullies so soon in life.

"What about them, sweety?" She questioned.

"They've all have phones and they know you and dad." She said. "They saw the video from that class I danced with daddy."

"Is that a bad thing? You were amazing, sweety." Said Kaycee — Jia shrugged. "Tell me what the problem is?"

The little girl played nervously with her fingers, a move that Kaycee herself knew all too well — it broke her heart to see her daughter so anxious about something.

The kid took a deep breath and finally let it out. "They keep asking why I don't have daddy's name... they say he doesn't want to be my dad."

"Oh, honey!" Kaycee pulled her daughter to a tight hug right away. "I can't guarantee that's not at all what it means... you know your father loves you more than all the things he loves combined."

"The girls said that I can't call him dad, because he isn't my real dad," Jia added.

This was another conversation Kaycee didn't think she would be having so soon — they've never hidden from Jia that Sean wasn't her biological father, but always emphasized that he was still very much her real dad... but Kaycee knew that questions were bound to happen as Jia would grow older.