64 Foster Son, Don't Be So Crazy (1)

The scorching sunlight beat down on the almost sandy land, the sky above it appearing exceptionally blue.

The withered figures that carried wooden planks twice heavier than their weight staggered with every step, sweat pouring off their bodies like a broken tap. Amidst this almost hell-like surroundings, a child that looked smaller than the rest stumbled over his own feet, creating a thick cloud of dust as he fell.

A guard with a large belly sauntered over, carrying a whip.

"You, quickly get up!"

He lashed out with his whip and hit the back of the fallen child. There was a soft groan of pain that answered him. The rest of the children quickly scattered, leaving the two of them alone.

"Still not getting up?" The guard asked menacingly.

As if in response to his words, the child got up to his knees, his whole body shaking with the effort. He had tender and pale skin that didn't seem to belong with the rest of the slaves, appearing as smooth as jade. The guard unconsciously licked his lips before the child lifted up his face and showed the disfiguring scar that marred his beautiful features.

It dominated the left side of his face, looking like melted candle wax. The guard shuddered and stepped away, and the child bowed his head once more.

"Ugly bastard, no wonder no one dared to help you. Quickly stand up and get out of my sight!"

The whip fell again, slicing into his skin. Xiang Feng picked up his wooden plank with hands that were raw and grazed, ignoring the excruciating pain on his body. He stood up and heaved the wooden plank back over his shoulders.

The left side of his face itched, but it was a welcome sign that reminded him he was now safe. Xiang Feng ignored the gnawing hunger in his stomach as he followed the rest of the children into the building, his steps small but steady.

They repeatedly hauled the wooden planks from the storage shed and into the building, until lunchtime came around and they were given a temporary break. The children ran over and arranged themselves into a neat line, their dirty faces eager and excited. It wasn't a line that was based on who came first. The bigger kids—the bullies—slipped into the front, while the smaller ones were ultimately pushed towards the back. At the very end, as expected, stood Xiang Feng.

His eyes counted the number of small kids and the number of big kids. If they banded together, they could take down the bullies. They weren't that many.

The bullies always stole their food, because what was being served wasn't enough for their huge appetite. If they formed a group, they could gang up on the bullies one by one. He knew they would succeed, because the bullies would never expect it. They had the element of surprise.

Once pushed down, even big kids like them would still bleed and get hurt.

After Xiang Feng got his own share of rice gruel, he searched for a secluded spot to eat his meal. He crouched down behind a thick bush, looking at the pitiful amount of food that was inside his bowl. He touched his stomach.

As he was still a growing child, this wasn't even close to being enough. He cupped his hands around the bowl and savored its warmth.

"Oy, ugly."

Tall shadows loomed over him, coming from five burly kids that looked intimidating. Before Xiang Feng had time to react, a chubby hand grabbed the back of his dirty shirt and sent him crashing into the mud wall behind him. Xiang Feng coughed and tried to crawl back to his bowl of food when a foot stomped on his hand.

"Thinking of keeping your food to yourself? Who told you that you could eat? Stupid lowlife."

A pair of rough hands picked up his bowl. Xiang Feng watched as they passed his bowl of rice gruel among them, taking one mouthful each. He bit his lips and tried to suppress his tears. His long eyelashes fluttered, brushing his cheeks.

Because of his position on the ground, Xiang Feng's black hair hung down and covered half of his face, hiding his scar. He had a small, delicate face that was almost feminine, making the bullies become a bit dazed as they stared at him.

One of them returned back to his senses and angrily shouted, "She-male!"

He lifted his foot and aimed it above Xiang Feng's head, wanting to grind that bewitching face into the ground. His mouth was twisted into a cruel sneer.

Xiang Feng's eyes flashed. Before the bully's foot could land, his small hands grabbed the bully's ankles as his teeth sank into his calf. He bit deep enough to draw blood, causing the bigger boy to yell out in pain.

"That hurts, you stupid trash!"

One of them ran forward and tackled Xiang Feng, pinning him to the ground and punching him. A rain of fists hit every available spot in his body—his head, his face, and his chest. Pain shot up his spine, and Xiang Feng clamped his mouth to prevent himself from screaming in pain.

His eyes were wet. Xiang Feng stared blankly ahead as they beat him again and again, his body curled into a fetal position. His whole body had withered—he was nothing but skin and bones. It was hard to see how it would matter if death came any closer to him.

Xiang Feng closed his eyes.

This kind of life made him feel like a prisoner that was slowly being dragged deeper into a darkness that would never see the light of dawn, with no warmth and only loneliness to keep him company.

Xiang Feng quickly opened his eyes.

Not one of them saw how the smaller boy grabbed a large stone by his head, and when one of the bullies bent down to punch him again, Xiang Feng slammed the stone against his skull.

Blood splashed.

Amidst their frightened screams, Xiang Feng shakily got up to his feet. There was not an inch of his skin that wasn't mottled by bruises, but his lips still held a strange smile.

"See? They all bleed."

In a cruel world, one could only become more cruel to survive.

This was a lesson Xiang Feng had learned early on. He pushed back his hair behind one ear, showing his horrible scar.

There were some lessons that were learned best through pain. His small hands lifted up the large stone again.

Slowly and carefully, he said, "Leave me alone."

Then he slammed the stone back down.