Chapter four

When they woke the next morning the sun was filtering through the curtains, warm and golden. They basked in its warmth and in the delight of each other's company, interspersing their conversation with lazy kisses as they lay in each other's arms. Eventually they were forced to leave their cocoon to feed their hungry stomachs. They ordered a large breakfast via room service and put on clothes to eat it in the bay window overlooking the square that their hotel stood on. When they'd both polished off a substantial quantity of the eggs and fruit and sausages and Ranveer was on his third cup of coffee, Deepika nervously cleared her throat and said, "So, I've been meaning to talk to you about something."

"Yes? What is it?"

"So, I've been thinking for a while now that I don't want to use condoms any more," she said in a rush.

His eyebrows rose. "What are you saying? Because baby, I'd love that, too, but you know that the pill was a disaster last time and I don't want you to be unwell for this. Not if all it needs is for me to wrap up. Unless... Unless this is your way of telling me that you want to have children soon?" he ended in a whisper, and his face was half-terrified, half-excited.

She blushed. "No, no to the kids, not yet, at least," she said hurriedly.

"Then?" he asked, pushing aside his faint disappointment.

"I've been looking into non-hormonal or mildly hormonal methods of birth control. They don't have the associated mood-related effects that hormonal birth control does. Something like the copper-T, for example," her eyes sparkled as she described the various options and he was charmed. She'd obviously put a lot of thought into this. "So, what do you think?" she asked when she was done.

He picked up her hand and kissed it. "It's your body, baby. As for me, while it would be incredible to make love with you without any barriers between our bodies, it's not essential. As long as I can touch you, kiss you, hold you - I'm good."

She nodded, not really having expected anything different from him. "So I was thinking I'd get the implant done once I'm back in Canada. It would be much more discreet than doing it in Mumbai."

He nodded. "Would you like me to come with you?"

"Veer, don't be silly. You don't have to fly all the way over there for a fifteen-minute minimally invasive procedure."

"But would you like me to be there," he pressed. She coloured and ducked her head. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to it. "Then I'll be there." She looked up to see him watching her steadily, a look of quiet, unshakeable devotion in his eyes, and blushed further before leaning in and kissing him.

He pulled her closer and she moved from her seat onto his lap for better access. They kissed for long minutes in the sunshine, basking in its warmth and in the pleasure of being together like this. Unlike last night's urgency, this morning was full of a leisurely sensuality. The intimacy of their earlier conversation spilled over into their touches, imbuing them with care and tenderness. Deepika lifted her head to lay gentle kisses on Ranveer's eyelids and forehead. He hummed in delight as she ran her fingers through his hair and showered him with butterfly kisses all over his face. She traced the lines on his forehead and the shadows visible under his eyes in the bright sunshine.

"You're not taking care of yourself, baby," she chided him gently.

He looked up at her sheepishly. "I've been finding it hard to sleep," he confided. "And with the time difference between Paris and Vancouver it's been hard to get to sleep early anyway, you know?"

"I'm sorry, baby, you should have told me, I would have worked something out," she said, distressed at being the cause of his exhaustion.

"No, baby, it's not your fault. It's not like I could sleep early anyways," he tried to reassure her.