DON'T LIE

Chapter 4: Don't lie

(My gifs aren't working but when they are it'll be here)

The next morning came and Tee was brushing her hair, getting ready for the day, expecting a call from Mike or for Mike to come round, but there was no call, no knock, which was weird. When Hopper came back from dropping Mike off, he explained that it as a false alarm and that his grandma was fine, so Tee expected their week to go as normal. But clearly not.

Tee left her room as Hopper and El ate breakfast together, Hopper asking if Tee was okay. She ignored him as she grabbed the phone ad dialed Mike's number,  she heard it ring for a moment before being picked up.

"Hello, this is the Wheeler's!" Karen's chirpy voice spoke through the phone.

"Hi Mrs. Wheeler!" Tee smiled as she answered the phone, she hadn't seen the woman in a while, and it was nice to hear her voice.

"Hi Molly, what can I do for you?" Karen asked the girl she was more than happy to talk to. The woman, of course, remembered Molly from when she was younger and believed that Molly had gone to care after her parents 'died.' So she had no idea about the lab.

"Is Mike there?" Tee asked the woman, who smiled at the question. She always knew the kids would end up together.

"Yeah, just a sec," Karen nodded, covering the microphone and shouting, "Mike! Phone!"

"Hello?" Mike's voice then appeared, making Tee smile as she walked into her room with the phone.

"Where a-are you?" Tee asked him, biting her nail as she asked, "Are you coming today?"

"I was just about to call," Mike answered her, making her nod slightly, "I... Um... Can't see you today."

"That's okay-" Tee began to say, when Mike cut her off.

"It's my nana," Mike continued, making Tee's eyebrows furrow, "She's very sick."

"Hop said t-that she was okay," Tee said to him as she twirled the cord around her fingers, "That it was a false a-alarm."

"Yeah," Mike nodded, trying to think of a lie on the spot, "We thought that at first, but then she took a real turn for the worst."

"Oh," Tee whispered, her eyebrows furrowing as she worried for his family in this hard time, "I should bake her s-some cookies or something."

"That's okay, Mol, you don't have to," Mike says to the girl, a guilty feeling rising in his chest

"Is she gonna be okay?" Tee asked.

"No, uh, I don't think so," Mike answered, making Tee sit down on her chair in despair, "We think she might... die."

"What?" Karen suddenly gasped over the phone, Making Tee even more confused.

"Mom get off the phone! How many times!" Mike's muffled voice shouted through the phone.

"Did nana call?" Karen shouted back to her son, now worried.

"No, mom! Just get off the phone!" Mike shouted to his mom again, "sorry about that."

"Is your mom okay?" Tee asked, her face scrunched up.

"yeah," Mike sighed out, "She's so upset, she's making no sense. Because we have to go to a nursing home. To see nana."

"Want me to come r-round after?" Tee asks him. Mike desperately wants to say yes, but can't. Hopper told him not to.

"No." Mike shakes his head, "I just think... I need to be alone today. With my... feelings?"

"You know, Mike..." Tee sighs, leaning back as Mike listens intently to what she was going to say, "You don't have to lie t-to me. You don't want to h-hang out. It's fine-"

"No!" Mike shouts, making Tee more confused, "I do. I do. It's just... Uh..."

"Mike," Tee laughs, "It's fine, okay? I'll see if M-Max is around. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," Mike sighs, "Miss you already."

"sure, sure," Tee giggles, "Bye!"

"Bye Mol," Mike said as he put the phone down. Tee put the phone back onto the latch.

"Hey, what's going on?" Hopper asks Tee as the girl grabs herself a glass of water.

"Nothing," Tee fake smiles.

"Who was on the phone?" Hopper asks.

"Mike. Uh, El?" Tee turns towards her sister, who looks up with cereal filling her cheeks, "Wanna go s-see Max?"

El nods, and the two girls leave the kitchen to get ready as Jim smiles to himself.

You don't mess around with Jim.