16: Braiding Hair

*Author's Note*
Hopefully I'll be updating more soon! Enjoy!
-
A lot has happened these past few days. You and the company left Laketown, arrived at the Lonely Mountain, unlocked the door, and are now sitting around waiting for Smaug to make a move. The Company has planned to send Bilbo to seek out the dragon later today.
•••

You sit in a small room near the entrance to the mountain, restlessly waiting for something to happen. Bilbo has been sent down a tunnel to look for Smaug and has not yet returned.

There is a lot of tension in the room and it's giving you a headache. No one knows quite what to say. All the Company can do is sit and wait for Bilbo to bring news on Smaug. It is still unknown whether the dragon is alive or dead. The uncertainty has stirred up your anxiety. You start to fidget, picking at the frayed edges of your dress.

Fili notices your discomfort and moves closer to you, prying your hands away from the dress and holding them in his own hands. He strokes the top of your hand with his thumb. You can tell that Fili also seems a bit distressed. He tries to put on a smile, but his true emotions are evident from the look in his eyes.

Fili's hair, much like your own, is disheveled and knotted from days worth of travel between Laketown and Erebor. You decide to fix it for him, undoing the remnants of a few tiny braids still in his hair.

You gently comb through Fili's hair with your fingers, careful not to ruin the natural wavy texture of his hair. Once you are finished detangling, you begin to braid. Starting in the middle, near Fili's hairline, you cross tiny sections of hair over one another. Left side, right side, left, right, left, right. You've braided hair so many times you barely even have to think about it. You pull a silver hair ribbon from your coat pocket and tie off the first braid. You repeat the process with two smaller braids, one on each side, securing them with Fili's dwarven beads. You loosen sections of hair, making sure the hairstyle is not too tight, before sitting back in satisfaction.

Fili smiles, this time for real, running his hand gently over each braid

"Thank you (Y/N). Now it's my turn to do yours!" Fili reaches for your hair, gathering it at the back of your head.

He softly combs through it with his fingers, removing your current hairstyle. Back in the elf prison, you got bored and fixed your hair into two tight Dutch braids that ran almost the entire length of your back, ending at your waist. Now, having survived the barrel escape and the journey up the mountain, the braids are hardly recognizable.

Fili gets to work, forming a single braid down the centre of your head. He stops just past the nape of your neck, tying the remaining length of your hair into a ponytail. He selects a ribbon to finish the look. Red, of course, to match your dress. You can't help but smile, twirling the end of the braid between your fingers.

"How did I get so lucky?" Fili stares at you with wonder, "I never imagined that my future 'Queen Under the Mountain' would be so beautiful

"How did I get so lucky?" Fili stares at you with wonder, "I never imagined that my future 'Queen Under the Mountain' would be so beautiful."

"Aww Fee! I think you've got it all wrong," you grab Fili's hand, "I'M the lucky one. YOU'RE the beautiful one."

You kiss his forehead gently.

I really am the lucky one, you think to yourself. The journey to Erebor hasn't been easy, but having your favourite dwarf by your side has made it a whole lot more enjoyable.