25. TEJUINO, my new best friend.

Christian

I stole another glance at my wrist watch.

What’s causing the delay?

I spared the guests seated opposite me a glance and without a word from them; I could see the disregard for time was eating them out. I looked Lucas’s side and he was in the same state. Unable to bear the silence anymore, I stood up to my feet and made my way out of the room to find out from Stella Carson what was taking so long.

Right outside, she stood a little agitated, and eyes glued elsewhere. It would seem she was waiting for someone.

“Mrs Carson.” I called to get attention and she turned to me right away.

“Why are you here and not inside?” I asked and her face seemed a little pale, her eyes unable to meet mine directly which was quite unlike her.

“I’m so sorry Mr. Hendrix. It’s my entire fault. I shouldn’t have had her take it home. I just thought... I wanted to give her a sense of responsibility but... but...”

“What are you talking about?” I interrupted, confusion laced in my voice and on my facial expression.

She fell quite for a moment as she stared me in the eyes. Suddenly, a sigh left her lips and she lowered her eyes.

“Harieth. Harieth’s got the flash drive and documents.” Her sentence added to my confusion.

“What are you trying to say?”

“Harieth...”

“I’ve got it!”

We both turn towards the direction of the voice and caught sight of Harieth having stepped right out of the elevator. Without wasting a second more, she began running towards us.

“Here.” She stated quite out of breath as she handed a file to Mrs Carson. We both looked from the file and back to her still trying to catch her breath.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Go on ahead.” She urged Stella as she gave her a light tug towards the door. Eventually, Stella looked away from her and headed into the room.

I couldn’t help looking her from head to toe and that’s when I noticed she didn’t have any shoes on. A light frown surfaced between my brows. That’s strange. Harieth always emphasised on class and took delight in dressing up to show off her wealth. It didn’t make senses for her to forget her shoes.

My eyes went up to her face and our eyes met. She smiled from ear to ear which felt a little odd.

What is she so happy about?

“Your shoes, where are they?” I pointed out and watched as she looked down to her bare feet. Her eyes met mine once more but a surprise expression played on her face.

“My shoes.” She pronounced as she tried recalling whatever happened to them.

“Ah, that’s right. In such a hurry, I must have forgotten them in the car.” She narrated and a smile returned to her face at the end of it.

I looked away from her face. She was really acting strange.

“Do go ahead. I’ll quickly go get my shoes.” She added and before my eyes shifted to her, she was halfway running back to the elevator.

My brows furrowed deeper as I stared at her waiting for the doors to the elevator to open. She looked my side once more and when our eyes met, she displayed another wide smile so much she seemed different. Prettier.

Instantly, I looked away from her and blinked several times to set my thoughts straights.

No matter how I think about it, she’s definitely strange.