06|girls like rebecca

A welcomed distraction greeted Aria and her friends at school the next day: prom. The votes for this years prom queen and king where in full swing and since this was this was their last year taking part it felt oddly special. Not that she had any desires of becoming queen but she knew tons of girls in this school who would be campaign for her votes and if one thing was certain; she didn't want a particular person to receive it.

"Vote for the best girl, for prom queen," a voice called out. As Rebecca George and her minions handed out pictures with her name on it.

This wouldn't be the first year Rebecca George won, last year she beat a senior and that was a big deal for her ego. This year she had taken out the victory in advance it appeared. Aria was secretly envious of Rebecca George because she had everyone fooled that she was far more mature than she was. Rebecca dated college boys, had fake ID's and looked old enough to not even need them while Aria had been called nothing but sweet and innocent her whole life. She noticed all the defeated looks from other girls that had planned on entering the competition, now that Rebecca was in it they had no chance.

"I bet she thinks she is going to win," Maya mumbled and gave Rebecca a death glare.

"It's because she's going to win," Julie replied, "Rebecca never loses. That line will probably be her slogan for her little prom campaign." Julie filled in.

"I wish someone would take her down a peg or two, before college. Otherwise she'll become one of those evil sorority sisters that will make our lives a living hell."

Aria listened to her friends and more so felt the urge to approach the table. It wasn't because she had the best confidence or Rebecca's looks but she did have something to prove to herself and to the rest of the school. Girls like Rebecca can't always win. With shaking legs she walked up to the table and kept her eyes trained on the paper in her hand as she wrote her own name and dropped it through the voting box. The looks on her friends faces couldn't be described as anything else than utter shock when she rejoined them.

"That'll show her," Aria said jokingly but was close to hyperventilating.

"I can't believe you just did that?! What has gotten into you?" Maya laughed and kept her eyes trained on Rebecca George who'd noticed Aria's action.

A part of her regretted it instantly but there was another part that felt a slight increase in her confidence. Her chin wasn't looking at the floor, instead she held her face high and tried to ooze calmness. It was quite clear that she hadn't thought this through but that's what her friends were for; Julie was already talking about dresses and campaign ideas to which Aria could only smile nervously and nod - she was going to need a lot of help.

"I just--I just wanted to see if there was a chance for me to win. I mean; the majority of the people in our school doesn't even like Rebecca George, so why do they vote for her? Perhaps it's time to give her some competition, as much as I can be that is." Aria said with a faint smile.

Maya placed her arm around her friend and gave her a supportive smile. As doubtful as Aria had been to what would happen to their friendship when they left for college she had regained some hope that they'd still be as close as they were before. Perhaps this could be seen as their last high school hooray before they went their separate ways.

"You are something else, Aria. I have to say; I would've never pegged you for the type to want to be prom queen but I think you'll make a hell of a queen." Maya gave her a wink and they kept strutting toward the class room.

---

It was a good thing Julie and Maya were creative with the ideas of campaigning because Aria had no idea what she had signed up for. The bell had rung an hour ago but the three friends were lingering in the library, looking at campaigning ideas online.