Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 4

After Lady Zhu Hua left I was ready to change out of my formal attire, and also take a break. I had never had a guest fluster me so—besides Rui, of course, if he counted. In fact, he was partly the reason why the meeting was so uncomfortable.

"You really are a beauty..."

What exactly was Rui telling Lady Zhu Hua? And he could've told me the warrior was a woman and saved me from being embarrassed, although I suppose it was my fault for assuming.

After Mei changed me back into my more casual robe, and let down parts of my hair, she left the room and I was all to myself again. Only this time I was aware there would be visitors and was not surprised anymore when I heard voices outside my room.

"Is that you, Rui?" I asked after I had opened the door a little. Merely opening the door without permission made me nervous, but I was able to do it, at least. Two weeks ago I would've thought I wouldn't be able to do so.

"Yes. With Zhu Hua and Yang Jun."

"And is Yang Jun a woman too?" I asked sarcastically. I heard him chuckle on the other side of the door.

"Scold me later, Lady Li Xiang, but let us in first."

I opened the door and let them in.

Rui and Zhu Hua entered, and following them was a tall man with long hair, in grey and blue robes.

I wondered how they managed to enter so brazenly, and also what excuses they invented to enter this hall, or if they simply snuck in.

"Good evening, Priestess of the Moon," the man I didn't meet yet, said. "I apologize for bothering your rest and entering your bedchamber at this time. To meet you is a pleasure."

He seemed polite and I was bewildered at the formal greeting.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. Please don't apologize, I'm glad that at least one of you has manners."

Rui laughed again. "I told you she's witty, isn't she?"

"Well, she has her adorable sides too," Lady Zhu Hua said. "Like when you thought I was a man, right?" She grinned. I blushed again at the memory.

"Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding, Lady Zhu Hua."

"Don't worry, you're not the first. And call me Zhu Hua, I hate being called 'Lady'."

"Yes, Zhu Hua. Please do call me by my name, too," I said.

"May I call you by your name too, then?" Rui asked. I hesitated before I nodded.

"Of course." I doubted he had to ask for my permission. He seemed like the type to do whatever he wished.

I turned to the other man, who had closed the door and bowed to me. When he raised his head, I saw that he, had delicate features. His eyes were like that of a phoenix's, curved at the ends, and his nose straight and long, cheekbones chiseled and high.

In contrast, Rui looked ragged and much more masculine despite his slender build.

"I am Yang Jun, a scholar and art appraiser, please do call me Yang Jun," he introduced himself. "May I know what to call you?"

"My name is Li Xiang." I said. "Rui told me you were the youngest person to pass the imperial tests, is that true?"

"Yes," he responded, but a bit softer than before. "However, I do not wish to be a governor. I want to study poetry and art."

"That's wonderful!" I said. He looked surprised.

"You really think so?" he asked, solemnly.

"Yes. Why wouldn't I?"