Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 6

Rui promised me he would pick me up in a week, in the morning after breakfast, with both Zhu Hua and Yang Jun.

"Will we leave Chang'an?" I asked them, when we made the plans during the next few days.

"No, we will still be in the capital."

"Are you sure no one will know I'm missing?" I asked, the fidgeting with my hands.

"I checked, don't worry," Rui said. "That day you'll be free. I've checked your schedule and usually you get breakfast, an afternoon snack, and then dinner. The afternoon snack will be provided by one maid, so you can tell her that morning you don't want an afternoon snack."

"And we'll make sure you get back before dinner," Zhu Hua said, munching on some seeds.

"How long will I be staying outside?"

"It's a—"

"Surprise," I finished for Rui. "Right?" 

He only smiled. I sighed.

"I'll put my trust in you, but please don't stay out too long. It's my first time outside." I stared at my hands. "I'm afraid, too."

"Yes, but you won't be alone." He reached out a hand, but then stopped, and drew it back. "I'll be by your side."

I faltered. Rui said silly things like that at times, maybe to assure me. I usually would've thought it was foolish, but recently I had gotten used to it, and maybe even thankful.

"Take care of yourself first before speaking so high and mighty," I said instead. "Don't stay up all night ever again."

He laughed, making me scowl.

However, the night before the expedition I couldn't sleep myself. I tossed and turned, hot although I was in my robe, and the summer night air was humid. Heart pounding, I stood up and opened the veranda door to feel the night breeze. There was none, but the air was cool, and I leaned out, and inhaled deeply.

As always, I looked up to the sky without thinking and prayed to the moon that we would have a safe trip, like I did numerous times in the day already. I closed my eyes and placed my hand over my chest.

Friends. It had been so long, but I've found people I cared for. People I want to protect.

People who I was glad I was a priestess for, and yet, at the same time, I couldn't help wishing I was not a priestess.

The next morning I woke up earlier than normal and waited nervously for Mei. I flipped through books and paced the room before finally sitting myself down. When Mei finally entered to dress me, as well as some other maidservants, I told her I didn't want any afternoon snacks. Thankfully, her usual keenness didn't activate and she didn't ask further.

When they left and I had my breakfast, as expected, my private entourage came.

Only, surprisingly, they were dressed up.

Rui was in a new dark blue outer robe that suited him, plain and simple. Zhu Hua was in a dark red top embroidered with birds, with both the sleeves and trousers bind tightly, looking more like a man than ever. Yang Jun was dressed in both white and grey, his robes long-sleeved and long and flowing freely.

"What's the occasion?" I asked.

"It's the town fair!" Rui said, breaking into a smile. "That's the surprise."

"He could hardly contain his excitement, the child," said Zhu Hua with a snort.

"Well, Zhu Hua and I have been to the Chang'an fairs, but this is Rui and Lady Li Xiang's first time," Yang Jun said.