Chapter 15: Pay What You Owe

I WAS ALRIGHT. I am alright. But the moment I stepped on the manor grounds, just at the front gate, I saw a majestic horse. It's mane was very luxurious, it's fur shines under the late afternoon sunlight. Atop it is a gorgeous lady wearing a simple shirt and pants paired with black leather boots. The Princess seem to have fun strolling the grounds while Exene holds the lunge. I heard one of the twins cleared his throat bago ko naramdaman ang braso nito sa aking balikat. 

"Let us help with whatever you need to do to make these meds." It was Levi. 

Napataas ang kilay ko. Are they sure they really wanted to help are they just going to bother me? 

"Oh come on--" Luca stood beside his brother. "--don't give us that look. We can lift heavy things and we're really good with our hands." 

Mas lalong tumaas ang kilay ko. "Of course you are." My eyes darted towards Exene and the Princess and they are now both looking at our direction. Exene's expression was dark. Parang kanina lang okay naman siyang naglalakad ah. Why does he look like he's ready to kill someone now? 

"Someone's pissed." Levi chuckled at mas hinigpitan ang hawak sa aking balikat. 

"Oh brother, you like pissing our Duke." Luca laughed and waved at Exene. I did a little curtsy to Exene bago naglakad palayo doon. I have lots of medicine to make. I bought samples from the store too para gagawin kong guide. The maids did their job well, taking care of the injured. Now I have to do my job as well being the healer. 

"These seeds are hard as fuck." Luca looked at me. "Your arms would fall off if you want to crush these." 

I gave him a sweet smile bago ko kinuha ang maliit na seed crushing machine. "We have this thing, my Lord. Who told you to crush those using a pestle."  

"Oh." Tanging nasabi niya bago niya ito kinuha. 

Levi on the other hand was busy stirring the concoction on a pot. "How long will keep stirring this stinky thing?" 

Pinigilan ko ang tumawa. "Ten more minutes." 

"Oh god." I heard him sighed making me chuckle silently. 

Few hours of bickering, shouting, and laughing, they left me alone to put the medicines in vials and they have to go back to the city to give instructions to the guards spread around the city and to check the village. 

I was sorting the medicines when I heard a knock on the door. I turned to see Exene, still on his clothes earlier when I saw him accompanying the Princess. 

"What's with the curtsy?" 

I looked at him questioningly.

He leaned casually on the door frame crossing his arms and eyed me, his face blank. I can't tell if he's mad or doesn't care or whatever. 

"Earlier when you saw me. You curtsied. Why?" 

Naalala ko ang ginawa ko kanina. Why? Was it wrong? Or did i do it wrong? Crap. 

"Am ... I not supposed to?" 

He pulled from the door frame and walked inside the room. Hindi ko alam pero bigla akong kinabahan. That feeling you have when you are about to climb onto the stage and deliver a speech you made five minutes before the presentation--that kind of feeling.

"I'm not saying it's wrong.." he stopped few steps away from me and inserted his hands on his pockets, a smirk dancing on his lips. "You kissed me last night.." he pointed to his cheek. "..so I thought things are going casual now between us and that you are fully dedicated to pretend as my girlfriend or soon to be wife." 

As soon as it left his lips, I felt my face burning. Damn it. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ko iyon ginawa kanina. That was the first time I curtsied in front of him. Was it because he was with the Princess. Did I do it to piss him off? I don't know. 

He stepped closer dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. 

"Well, you were with the Princess so just think that curtsy was for her." 

A chuckle from him. "I was expecting you to come to us and drag me out of there, playing the jealous girlfriend." 

Napataas ang kilay ko. I turned my back on him as I went back to sorting the medicines. 

"I will play that part from now on. I still need to adjust---" I didn't finish my sentence when he held my arm and turned me to face him. 

"I'm not asking you to play the part. You're already doing it." A smirk. "A kiss on the cheek, getting pissed when I'm with another woman---" 

"I wasn't pissed---"

"Sure." He chuckled. 

I fumbled on the small vials on my hand. Damn, why is he so close. I can smell his manly scent, it's addicting. 

"Did you come here just to tell me that?" I took the risk to meet his eye. 

His eyes went to the medicines behind me and the mess in the room while me and the twins were making the medicine. 

"You're working really hard."

I shrugged. "Well, you pay me to work hard so I should do my part---" 

I froze as I felt his lips on my cheek. "It's so much more than that. You have the heart of a healer. You felt the need to help. Thank you for your hard work." 

He took a step back and eyed the vials on my hands. "Hold those carefully. You might break them." 

Napatingin ako sa hawak kong bote. Then I looked at him. 

"Don't think I don't pay what I owe. See you at dinner. " He winked and stormed out of the room. 

My jaw dropped. All I can do is stare at the door where he came out. What in the world just happened?

* * *