28

Everyone had gathered on one of the tour buses as they travelled from Rome to their next destination. It was late afternoon, approaching nighttime. They were behind schedule due to a hold up when two buses' tyres popped. Drinks were being passed around over a game of cards that Nick, Jamie and Kelly were playing. Matt was busy typing away on his phone to Breana, barely looking up. Alex and Rosanna sat to themselves upon a settee nearby the game of cards enough so that they could watch it without moving.

Alex had Rosanna on his lap and his arms wrapped around her as they lay back against the armrest. He had one of his hands interlocked with Rosanna's as she pointlessly counted their knuckles and traced his fingertips. She had her head resting on his chest comfortably. Alex was beginning to doze off on yet another of one of his frequent naps, resting his temple on the top of Rosanna's head, when he felt something buzz in his pocket.

He opened his eyes and moved to grab his phone out of his pocket, checking the screen. He was taken by surprise by the name displayed.

"Sorry, love," he said to Rosanna and kissed her on the cheek, "I'll be right back."

"All good," she smiled at him and moved off him so that he could stand up. Alex excused himself to the back of the bus and pressed his phone to his ear.

"Hello?" He spoke, a little confused.

"I saw you got what you wanted?" the voice came through.

"Why'ya callin' Miles?" Alex asked.

"Not happy to hear from me then I guess?" Miles chuckled.

"No, no mate, I just weren't expecting ya," Alex said, glancing over at Rosanna and watching her sit down next to Jamie and join in on the game of cards. "What's the occasion?"

"No occasion, I'm just calling up to ask you how ya new girlfriend is going," Miles smiled. "Honestly I'm surprised things turned out so sweet."

Alex chuckled and ran a hand through his hair, "believe me when I tell you so am I. It still feels surreal."

"When'd it happen?" Miles asked.

"Bout a month ago," Alex replied, smiling like a little boy. "I've never been happier. I've never been happier in me life."

  "I'm guessing she feels the same way?" Miles asked.

  "I mean I'd think so," Alex joked. "But, fuck, she's the light of me life. Everything's fit into place with her. I'm so fucking in love with 'er Miles, I don't think I've ever felt like this before about anyone."

  "Be careful though mate," Miles said cautiously, expecting Alex to take it bitterly. "With both hers and your feelings."

  "What'd you mean?" Alex asked, confused.

  "Last thing you want is for it to end in flames and ruin the friendship you two built," Miles said honestly.

  "Why would you say that?" Alex asked, hurt.

  "I'm just stating the facts mate," Miles said, "now that you've dove in deep, you've gotta be prepared for being thrown out the pool."

  "Miles, I'm happy with her, why would you try and make me think that?" Alex asked, feeling his heart drop. He thought he'd at least get Miles' support too.

  "You've just gotta be prepared. I know you don't wanna think about it, no one does, but it's a possibility and you've gotta think about how you'd save your friendship if things ever did go south," Miles said.

  "I'd really rather not," Alex said. He wasn't getting aggravated like Miles expected, he just sounded hurt.

  "Well I'm still ere to talk to ya about anything aight?" Miles said.