Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
Elle's POV

My room faced east, so when I woke in the mornings, the lace of my curtains often danced across the walls, an intricate pattern floating on the floor. Since I was a child, I'd always been encouraged to wake up by the soft light as it warmed my room, but today, as I peeled my eyes open, my room was shadowed, darker than usual.

It was past noon, and the sun bowed over the house, cresting at midday to descend slowly through the sky. The shadowing light made my room cooler, and the lacework pattern barely whispered across the walls in the dim light.

As I finally pried my eyes open, no longer blinking away sleep, it felt like I was fighting off death, struggling to stay alive in the cold, harsh air.

I wasn't in the mood to talk to my family, so I slid my feet into my slippers, tugged on my dressing gown for extra warmth, and sat at my desk. I had a pile of homework to get through, and its undesirable pull beckoned me like a bony outstretched finger, but I knew I needed to do it if I wanted to spend the night at Kendra's.

The window was open, I'd forgotten to close it the night before, and the cold nipping breeze fluttered in the sheer curtains. I watched them ripple in the drafting air as they flew away from the window, floating mid-air, before sweeping back so it swaddled the flyscreen.

Exhaustion weighed heavy on my body, despite the seven hours of sleep I'd gotten, and now that I was faced with the mountain of homework, I just wanted to curl back up under the cover of my blankets. The warmth would lull me back into a thoughtless state of bliss, gently tugging me into a comforting sleep.

Despite the urge, I resisted it, spending an hour on homework before hunger pains ate at my stomach. My brain couldn't comprehend the words that shifted across the page any longer, so I pushed away from my desk after I'd read the same paragraph eight times, trudging down the stairs, my mouth salivating at the scent of baked cookies that wafted down the hall.

Nanna was aggressively kneading a new batch of cookie dough, the heel of her palm digging into the countertop. It was her third or fourth batch, and dozens sat cooling on whichever racks Nanna could find around the kitchen.

I found one still warm and peeled it from the baking paper slowly, trying not to let the paper crinkle. When I'd gotten it off and safely deposited half into my mouth, I cleared my throat, sinking my teeth into the soft, chewy treat.

'Are you feeding an army?'

She gasped, pressing her hand to her chest as horror flashed across her face.

She swatted my hand away as I snaked out to grab another cookie, ushering me out with a hurried wave. 'Go on. Shoo.'

Her cookies were filled with light, fluffy air that helped lift my spirits, and I floated down the hallway.

Humming softly, I carried my snack to Brent's room, flittering to his desk and producing a cookie from my pockets. 'Nanna's baking.'

He had a history textbook on his desk, and he didn't look up as he plucked the cookie from my fingers. 'I know. Their flight arrives at five-fifteen. They've got an hour on their stopover.'

Mckenzie appeared in the doorway, her face lit up, and her eyes glowed excitedly. 'Nanna's baking!' her voice was bubbly as she gripped the doorframe.

'I know!' Brent groaned, brushing his hair from his eyes. 'Can you both go away? I'm trying to do my homework.'

We ignored his pinched expression, and I pulled the third cookie from my pocket with a devilish grin. McKenzie yipped, stretching her hands out like a greedy toddler.

Brent snapped again, demanding that we get out, and we fled the room, laughter fizzing on our lips.

We turned in the hallway to separate, but McKenzie called out as I neared my door. 'Can you help me with my scrapbook, Elliot? I still have a few pages left, and I want to give it to them today.'

Her room was a little smaller than mine, so we were huddled together on the floor, hunched over her artwork. Glue stuck to my fingers, tacking onto the paper it wasn't meant to, scraps littering the carpet.

Flakes of glitter buried under my nails, and my hands glinted as I worked like flashing disco lights.

Scrapbooking was McKenzie's forte, so I spent the hour gluing down her designs and writing little notes in neat writing. We sang as we worked; and rolled along the carpet, taking an impromptu break when a Colson Rhett song came on, and McKenzie squealed with delight.

When we were done, we left the pages by the window to dry, admiring our work as we weighed them down with odd bits and pieces.

After a quick shower, I stared into my closet, nervously picking over my clothes and searching for the perfect outfit. My hair was damp, soaked into the hole-ridden shirt Jacobi had forgotten on a Summer weekend two years ago. It was spotted with makeup stains but softened by years of wear, and I couldn't bear to throw it away.

I'd narrowed it down to two options. A casual pair of light-washed jeans, the type I owned in every colour, a dusty pink skirt loosely pleated at the waist, and a hemline that skirted the ground.

I liked the skirt.

I twirled in the mirror, and the hemline fanned out in a halo around my legs, lifting just enough to make out my nude tights in the bottom corner of the mirror. I laughed, my eyes sparkled with excitement, and momentarily, I recognised the beauty in my reflection.

I hurried down the stairs, flying past Nanna and Pop, who had their heads bent together in the dining room. I waved as I spilled out the back door, shouting 'I'll be back in twenty minutes' over my shoulder.

The woods had always been a place where I could collect my thoughts. I hadn't expected him to be waiting for me in the trees, but I grinned when I saw him.

Giggles bubbled in my throat, and I twirled for him, showing off how my skirt fanned my ankles. 'How do I look?'

He didn't approach me, a growl rumbling at the centre of his chest.

My smile faded, and I pinched the inside of my cheek between my teeth, 'What's wrong?' I heard the strained apprehension in my voice, pulling at the fabric of my skirt as I observed him silently.

A feral snarl snapped from his chest, gnashing teeth biting together sharply as spit flew from his mouth.

I swallowed sharply, fear lodged in my throat as vertigo twisted the world viciously, spots dotting my vision.

I fell to my knees, remembering every piece of training I'd learnt over the years and making myself appear smaller as quick, shallow breaths rasped past my lips.

I held his gaze as he stalked forward, my chin wobbling with silent sobs.

His hackles were raised, and he bared his teeth, roaring snarls tearing from his chest.

He got closer, and I tumbled backwards, crawling on my back. His barking growls punctured the howling roar of blood rushing past my ears.

I forced myself back onto my knees, covering my face with my hands as I knelt before him.

I trembled, flinching as spittle freckled my skin with each gnashing bark.

'That is enough!'

My whole body shook with convulsions, fear gripping my heart and twisting it within my chest as Jacobi clasped a hand onto my shoulder.

I launched into his arms, holding onto him desperately as tears slashed down my cheeks like silvery veins.

'I don't know what I did.' I choked, sniffling against his chest as he ushered me away from the snapping wolf.

'You didn't do anything, Elle. He is scared. Something happened last night.'