30

♥️

The same day -Monday- at around seven in the evening my mom arrives home from work, it must have been a busy day because her dark hair is pulled back and she looks exhausted.

I'm thankful I spent the day baking to keep myself busy, she'll be happy when she walks in the kitchen. The countertops are lined with macaroons and cupcakes.

My mom smiles at the sight "Looks like we're having sweets for dinner." She says with a laugh as she examines all the sweets that dot every inch of her kitchen before picking up a macaroon and happily biting into it.

"Wow, Emma! These are delic-". A loud knock on the door breaks her sentence and she turns to make her way back to the door.

I hear it creak open before she speaks again, her voice is full of surprise. "Mr. Scott?" That name. Could It be?

My brain tells my feet to slow down but they won't listen as I glide out of the kitchen and into the hallway, that's when I see him. He's standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame. He looks unusually casual in his black shirt and dark jeans but still heavenly. His black hair is tousled on his head and his eyes are pleading as he looks between me and my mother.

He's here... Wait, I never showed her a picture of him, let alone said his name. Definitely not his last name... how does she know?

His deep velvet voice takes up the entire house. "I'm sorry Miss. Banks. I need to have a talk with your daughter." He walks right past her, giving her a pleading look as he comes straight for me. Her face is twisted in confusion, the same as mine, as he wraps me in a tight hug.

He buries his face in my hair, I feel his chest rise and fall as he breathes me in. "I missed you, baby. So much." His strong arms envelope me, and I can't help but wrap mine around his neck.

I can't think straight; he smells too good. My resolve is faltering but I pull him back and look into his face, his features a mix of relief with a hint of anger. I see his eyes pan down to my chest where his necklace lays and his uneven smile makes me melt.

I asks the one question that keeps running through my mind. "How do you know my mom?"

She walks up and answers for him. "Honey, this is the man I was telling you about. The investor." She smiles at him.

He places his hand securly on the small of my back."Well, this is the guy I was telling you about," I say back, giving him a curious glance, he gives nothing away... his face is stone.

My mom pats his shoulder "Well, now I see why you were so invested in a small business from a town you're not even from." She laughs as she gestures for us all to sit.

She quickly brews a pot of coffee and brings us all a mug before taking her spot at the table. Aiden is next to me; my mom is across. "So, Mr. Scott." She begins but he politely stops her "Please, Just Aiden." He smiles at her as she continues.

"Aiden." She sits up a little straighter. "So, what's going on here?" She looks between us and I wait for him to speak up. Thankfully he does.

"Me and Emma are together." The way he states it sends shivers down my body, he words it not as a question or anything but as a definite thing. A tangible object you can touch. I look between my mom and the tall tattooed guy at the table wondering how she will react. She's got a couple of tattoos herself, so I'm not worried about her judging him, but he's a little older and this is all so weird.

"Well, I wished you would have told me during our meeting. Surely I would have figured out who you were when I went to visit." She makes a good point. He shrugs and then smiles while he look down at his hands.