98. Ghosting

I was standing in the crowd, watching May give her speech with Peter standing behind her in his suit. She was talking about how some people re-appeared in their homes after five years, while there were new people living there. After her speech she gestured for Peter to say something. He walked up to the microphone and said " Thank you, Ms. Parker, for having me. And thank you guys for having me." He awkwardly gave us a thumbs-up. But the audience didn't care. They just cheered for him. 

" Thank you Spider-Man. He'll be right back out to take photos and videos, thank you!" May said and they went backstage. I looked at my phone, I had a text from Happy.

👏🏻👏🏻: I'm here.

I snuck backstage, hugged Peter and saw Happy stumble inside with a large check in his hands. " Hey, sorry I'm late." He apologized, trying to carry the cheque. I remembered Pepper signing it that morning, last minute before she left for work. "

Happy, hey!" Peter said and hugged him. 

" Oh, you look lovely." He said to May. 

And she answered with a " Thanks, you too." What was happening? Did they know each other? 

" Thanks. New dress?" Happy asked her. 

" Euh, yeah. Yes, it is. That's a new beard." She said. How did she know that? I could see that Peter was confused as well. 

" What the hell is happening?" I whispered to him. 

" I have no clue." He said confused. 

" It's my blip beard, because I grew it in the blip. Blip beard." Happy stated awkwardly. It wasn't like him to be shy and since when did he use the word blip? " Anyway, so, the reason I'm late is because this was misplaced at the office, can you believe it? Because it's enormous? I mean, not the amount. The size. The amount is nice, too." He then turned the conversation around.

" Hey I got that dual headphone adapter to watch those movies." I told Peter, trying to ignore Happy's awkwardness. 

" Nice, I just downloaded The original Star Wars trilogy." He said excited. 

" Spider-Man, go shake hands." May then told him and walked to the kitchen. 

" Will do." Peter told her.

" What just happened?" Peter asked Happy. 

" Yeah, were you flirting with her?" I asked. 

He looked at me, knowing we were on to him. " Heads up... Nick Fury's calling you." He then said trying to avoid the confrontation. 

" Nick Fury's gonna call me?" Peter asked confused. 

" Yeah." Happy said. 

" Why?" Peter asked. 

" Why? Because he probably, have some... hero stuff for you to do. You're a superhero. He calls superheroes." Happy told him. 

" Well, I mean if it was really that important, he'd probably call someone else. Not me." Peter said, which was usually what Fury did. 

" Apparently not." Happy said. Why wouldn't he just ask Strange? Or even Bucky and Sam or Wanda. They were his main three heroes right now. Suddenly Peter's phone went off. The Star Wars opening score started to play. " No caller ID. That's him." Happy said. 

" I don't really wanna talk to Nick Fury." Peter said, which I understood a hundred percent. 

" Answer the phone." I told him, I knew what happened when you ghosted Fury. He leaves an angry voicemail telling you to 'pick up you damn phone'.

" Why?" Peter asked me. 

" Because if you don't pick up, then he's probably calling me, and I don't wanna talk to him either. And then when I don't pick up I get an angry voicemail." 

" And if she doesn't pick up, he's calling me." Happy added " And I don't wanna talk to him either." 

" Why don't you wanna talk to him?" Peter asked him curious. 

" Because I'm scared. Just answer the phone." He urged. Peter showed us the screen and pressed the red phone. " You sent Nick Fury to voicemail?" Happy asked nervous. 

" Yeah." Peter said casually. 

" You don't send Nick Fury to voicemail." He then said a bit more annoyed. 

" Did you hear that? They're calling me. I gotta go." Peter used as an excuse. 

" You gotta talk to him." Happy told him. 

" I'm gonna call him. I promise you, I'm gonna call him. I will." Peter said running out putting on his mask. 

" You do not ghost Nick Fury." He yelled after him. 

" I promise you, I'll call him... after my trip." I heard him yell back. My phone started to play Smash Mouth, so I pulled it out of my jacket and looked at it, no caller ID. 

" You better answer that." Happy said. 

I smiled pressing the red button. " I told him I'm taking a break from the big stuff. He's probably just calling cause he knows I'm around Peter most of the time." 

Then Happy's phone started to ring. He obviously picked up " Hey! Yeah? No, no. They're not ghosting you." I heard him explain to Fury. I gave him the thumbs up and ran back to the side of the stage Peter was on. Reporters were crowded around him, cameras in his face ad microphones shoved towards him.

" Okay, okay, one question at a time." He told them. 

" Are you the head Avenger now?" The first reported asked. 

" No, I'm not." Peter answered.

" If the aliens come back, what are you gonna do?" Another one asked. 

" Does anyone have any neighborhood question?" He asked them. 

 " Shawn Winford, Queens Tribune. What is it like to take over from Tony Stark? Those are some big shoes to fill." 

" I'm, uh..." I saw Peter freak out " I'm gonna go. Thanks so much everyone, for coming." He ran off and disappeared behind the curtain.