Chapter 15

The next morning I was already wearing my swimsuit, ready to go out to the beach.

We lay down our towels on the sand, my mum has a book in hand and I'm already on my way to the sea. I giggle as I feel the water touch my feet. It feels euphoric.

I can't believe how much I've missed this', I think as I look out at the ocean before me.

I run in deeper and dive in. I swim further than the other people in the water. I swim down to the bottom of the sea and I see starfish and coral. It's like a rainbow of colours surrounding me here.

I crouch down on the seafloor and push myself up as fast as I can, shooting myself faster than I have ever done, into the air, my body almost fully out of the water and I fall gracefully with a splash.

"Be careful daughter, you mustn't let anyone see you," I hear my father's voice behind me.

"Dad!" I yell out excited and swim to him, latching myself onto him in a tight hug.

"It's good to see you too, daughter", he replies with a laugh.

"I missed you so much," I tell him, still hugging him.

"And I have missed you too, daughter," he responds happily.

"Where did you come from?"I ask him, still knowing the answers but they still haven't told me a thing about the gods. Do they really believe that I won't suspect anything? His name is Poseidon and my brother is Triton. I spoke to a fish, can sense the ocean from my necklace and not to mention my emotional water outburst in the kitchen!

"Uh..."

His face says it all, he looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

I decide to spare him and say, "Come on dad, let's go say hi to mom."

He releases a sigh of relief, and as we swim to shore I roll my eyes. For a god, he really sucks at lying.

We greeted mom and we all left to get ice-cream.

"When is Triton coming?" I ask my dad.

"He is looking after...our...home, doing some work for me," he tells me awkwardly. 

We all sit down and my dad asks me about school.

"It's okay I guess. I've been studying hard. It's difficult because of my dyslexia but I push through. The other kids are weirded out because I'm so young. I did a placement test and I have to go to fifth grade now. I'm excited about that," I respond. I really am excited to get moved to a different grade. Still being introverted and not able to relate to kids mentally younger and so immature, so this is a great placement.

"That's amazing Rhea. I'm so proud of you. Not many children are as advanced as you," he praises me, which makes my ego swell slightly.  If only he knew.

"Thanks, dad", I grin at him.

"Can I ask you guys something?" I ask my parents.

"Of course honey," my mom replies.

"Are you really the god of the sea?" I ask, shocking them both.

"What are you talking about Rhea?" my mom asks, trying to look confused.

"Mom, Dad, you really are terrible liars. Dad's name is Poseidon, my brother is named Triton, and not to mention the weird things that have been happening around me."

"You really are too smart for your age daughter. We didn't want to tell you because if you knew, your life will be placed in more danger than ever.  We did it to protect you," my father says. He went on to explain about demi-gods and monsters and his family who likes to kill children.

"Now that you know, your scent will be even more potent to the monsters out there who hunt demi-gods," my father says sadly, squeezing my mother's hand.

I frown in confusion, But I have known my whole life, and I haven't really been in danger.

"But I have known since last summer,"I state confused, "and nothing has happened so far."

"You've known all this time and you didn't say anything," my mother starts.

"You didn't hide it well. Last summer I overheard some of your conversations with dad and Triton...It's a small cabin," I explain.

"It is a small cabin, I agree," my dad responds humorously.

"Does that mean her life isn't in as much danger as we first believed since she knew all along?" my mom asks dad.

"It would appear so, since you haven't seen any monsters around, and nothing happened at school," my father replies.

We headed back to the cabin, had lunch and dad had to go back to Atlantis, leaving my mother and me alone.

"I really am sorry that I didn't tell you," she says.

"I know mum. I knew you had to have a good reason."

"I really wish you would've told me sooner that you knew though", she sighs.

"And miss out on both your and dad's reaction at the same time? No way! It was hilarious", I say laughing and my mom joins in.

My father couldn't visit the next day and neither could Triton, and so mom and I went for some needed shopping. I was growing out of my clothes that I've had for nearly two years.

We had a good bonding time and then when we got back to the cabin, Triton was there. We enjoyed a good laugh when I told him about mom and dad's reaction and he said he had a similar reaction when dad told him about me.

"When did you know?" he asks me.

"I think when I was hanging out in the water and a fish spoke to me. Dad looked upset and the fishy hid behind my leg, afraid of dad. It's ridiculous when I think about it now. And you and dad always show up out of the blue. And not to mention the fact that you always smell like the sea and your eyes change colour and considering your names. I put it all together," I responded, lying through my teeth like a professional.

Triton told me that he will be introducing me as his daughter for the time being to keep me safe.

"That's weird," I say, pulling a face.

"I know what you mean, but we have to do it for now," he tells me, pulling his face like mine.