13 | p a n s y ?

{I} flinched, recognizing the voice immediately. Draco.

"Where were you?"

Ignoring him, I swerved toward my dorm.

"I'm serious, Lexi."

I continued to storm forward, the tears threatening to burst. Draco wasn't getting out of this one easily.

A second year came down the stairs, probably because of the commotion.

"Fine, then. Run away, Potter!" Draco said, bitterly.

And I did. I ran away.

He changed when people were around. The moment I stepped foot inside the door, I broke down.

"So what's wrong with you?" a voice questioned chirpily. Pansy. Great.

"Nothing." I said, wiping away my tears.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"No," my voice broke. "Draco's being such an arse!"

"No need to cry about it." she remarked.

"What's wrong with crying?" I snapped. "I lost a friend, I'm sad, so now I'm crying. Why do people feel the need to antagonize tears? It doesn't make you weak if you cry." I was the worst hypocrite. I did it myself, too. But, Pansy's tone made me want to stand up for myself.

"Jeez, okay." It was quiet for a moment. "Want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"No."

"Okay." She sat down next to me, "I wasn't going to tell you this, but he was waiting for you, y'know. Worried to death."

I rolled my eyes. "Good for him."

"You know I don't like you, right Potter?" Pansy said casually.

"Yeah, I don't like you very much, either." I said, sniffling.

"Good, then."

I started to laugh, Pansy joining in.

"I like Draco," Pansy announced, side glancing at me. "But, you knew that, didn't you?"

"You've made it plenty clear." I muttered.

"Do you?" she asked.

"Do I what?"

"Like him."

"No!" I exclaimed, "I can't even stand him now. He's so different. And besides, I know he's not going to apologize with that damned pride of his. He's probably just going to continue lashing out at me because that's just what he does."

"You know him pretty well." Pansy said.

"Well, obviously." I paused, "But, he went too far this time. I don't think I can forgive him."

"Good for me, then." Pansy replied.

"I guess."

"And Potter?" she said, standing up.

"Yeah?"

"You know he's sorry, though, don't you?"

I knew. "Let him prove it himself that he cares more about our friendship then his pride."

--

The next day, I felt terrible. My chest felt heavy, and I had a splitting headache. But, I guess it was just the mood I needed.

When you're tired, when you're hurt, you don't care.

Isn't that just what I needed for my first day of class?

I trudged down to breakfast, and headed over to the Gryffindor table. "Harry?" I called out.

He looked surprised to see me, "Lexi?"

"Yeah, is it alright if I sit here?"

"Course! Is it allowed, though?"

"Does it matter?" I groaned, putting my head down. The people in the Great Hall quieted, looking around at each other in disbelief.

Hermione butt in, "Actually, it's not allowed, according to page 314 of Hogwarts: A History."

"No wonder there's such a rivalry between the houses! They don't let us eat together or even step into each other's common rooms. I mean, doesn't it not make sense that friends aren't allowed to hang out outside of the Great Hall or the library?" I ranted.

"Tough day?" Harry peeped.

"You could say that." I sighed, "I had a fight. With a friend. No, not a friend anymore, a classmate."

"Malfoy?"

"Oh, you know him?" I said, surprised.

"Yeah, a prat he is." Harry growled. "I met him yesterday."

"When?"

"He was looking for you, I think." Harry tried to remember.

"Huh."

"Are you going to eat?" Hermione asked.

"No. I don't have an appetite."

"Seems like Malfoy doesn't either." she remarked.

"Hey, could you do me a favor?" I said, "Can you tell me what he's doing?"

"Staring at you." Harry said between bites. "And with someone draped on his shoulder, too."

"That would be Pansy." I sighed.

"Quite close they are, eh?"

Ron was quiet the entire time, glowering into his meal.

"Is there something you want to say?" I asked, on edge today.

He opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, I felt the breeze from a familiar swish of a cloak.

"Professor!" I said, turning around. "Good morning." Teachers were an exception to my mood. I was determined to be a bloody good student.

Snape stared at me, "Miss Potter, you are aware of what house you are in, correct?"

"Yes, that's why there's a little snake on my robes to remind me."

"Then why aren't you at the Slytherin table?"

"Because my dear brother is here, at the Gryffindor table." I said, ruffling Harry's hair despite his protests.

"Are you finished eating? I need to talk to you."

"Yeah," I said, jumping up immediately.

"Follow me."