25. Terrified.

They returned to Esther's apartment just to find solace in Newt's suitcase. The witches heart fills with joy to share the duty of feeding Newt's beasts. She crosses paths with the majestic Nundu. She throws chunks of fresh meat towards the large feline. He catches it with his mighty jaws. She smiles as he tears into it. Cats are her favorite species. A cold wind brushes against her shoulders. She turns around to gaze at the source of breeze.

A black tarp sways with snow trickling through. The witch gulps her fears away as she slowly makes her way towards it. Can she try to overcome her fears of the obscurius? Her fingers grasp the tarp, mustering the courage within her to unveil the being. Her body trembles at the sight of the swirling black mass in the middle of the white thunders.

In the distance Pickett chirps restlessly in Newts pen pocket.

"What is it Pick?" He inquires as he continues to heave a barrel full of pellets.

He follows the direction of the bowtruckles outstretched arm. Fear electrifies his being to witness Esther standing at the entrance of the obscurius. He drops the barrel to run towards her.

"Esther? Esther!" He shouts drawing closer to her.

Her body stiffens, absorbing the being. Her vision starts to blur. Twigs snaps although there are none present. Darkness engulf her surroundings. Uncertainty overwhelms her. This creature isn't a dementor, so why is her subconscious tricking her?  Refocus. Concentrate. She shuffled into her past, forcing a different memory. Snippets of her time in the subway tunnel come to mind. She sees Credence. She focuses on him instead, fighting the urge of immersing herself into another time. Guilt weighs heavy on her. She wishes she could have done something better. Instead of letting him flee on his own, yet again. A warm trickle falls down her cheek. She blinks away the pools forming on her lids to recollect her state of mind.

   A force pulls her away from the subway, revealing a familiar face. She shrieks from the sudden motion. Hands which aren't her own press against her cheeks pulling her concentration onto their face.

"Esther. Have you gone mad?." He huffs, catching his breath.

"No." She sniffles.

"Why would you even think to go back in there?"

She pauses for a moment collecting her racing thoughts.

"I wanted to see if I could change it...  I didn't see the creature. The... Obscurus? I saw Credence.." She explains.

He sighs and presses her head into his chest. The thorns on Pickett's arm tangle into the witches hair leaving a matted mess. He chirps as a sign of comfort. She frees herself from his arms to look up at him. His brows droop from concern noticing the heavy bags under Esther's eyes. His fingers brush through her hair to straighten the knot Pickett caused. Her blemishes flare up from his gaze.

"You should get some rest. I assume you didn't sleep much last night. The living area was impeccable.." He comments.

A beat.

"Do you sleep at all at night?" He asks to combat her silence.

She looks at Pickett to avoid the wizards question.

"Not really... I have nightmares." She confides in him.

"Nightmares?" His nose crinkles and eyes squint by her peculiar response. "Is that why there's so many opened bottles?"

The faint smile she did have fades away by his remark. The dull pain of disappointment sinks into her gut.

  "One of the reasons...  But I don't use them anymore, so it should be none of your concern. I try wasting the time in study and husbandry.." She explains shifting her eyes to avoid his.