Chapter 7

ROCCO

I was breathing hard, panicky, as I drove. God, he was a fucking asshole. Fuck. 

Imagine what my parents would think if they knew I kissed him. Oh wait - they would probably send me to conversion therapy or something - I had no idea how they would react and I didn't want to find out.

It's not like I had never gone behind my parent's backs - they didn't know I was in a gang, for starters. 

But this was a guy, and not to mention Jax Wilson. The guy with the worst reputation in the school. Last year, a rumour had gone around that Wilson had stabbed another guy over a fight about a girl. He smoked all the time. He hardly came to school - and if he did, he spent most of his time in detention. 

To be fair, I'd spent a reasonable amount of time in detention as well - which my parents didn't know about either. Being in a gang meant you had to live up to their standards - like, don't do your homework. That's fucking weird. Don't be bullied, be the bully. Annoy teachers - what, are you a pussy or something? 

But deep down, I wasn't like the rest of the Wolverines. I mean - none of them knew where I lived, for example. Not many people at school did - apart from Wilson. I can't believe he remembered - it's been a while. 

I'd probably get kicked from the Wolverines if they knew that I lived in Frostwood Drive - people who lived in Frostwood Drive didn't join gangs. That's just not how it worked.  They also didn't know about my straight A record - Wolverines didn't have straight A records. But neither did Cobras - apart from Jax Wilson. 

I'd stumbled upon his files one time I was clearing out some stuff in detention - A after A after A. 

I was shocked at the time. How can you get straight A's but hardly turn up to school and are constantly pissing off the teachers? 

So I'd spied on him - looking over his shoulder in Chemistry class - and his page was filled with actual chemical equations, diagrams and actually correct answers. Albeit, there were dicks - lots of dicks - but actual notes covered most of his pages. 

So I did what any sane guy would do - spread the word that he was smart around the Juniors, so all the people who kissed his ass and worshipped him would have excuses to ask him to tutor them. He'd say no, of course, but it was amusing to irritate him.

While I was out of school, I'd had twenty something missed calls from other Wolverines, asking where I was. They'd probably think I had been kidnapped or killed by Cobras - not impossible, considering their history. I hadn't even been in the gang very long. With the Wolverines, surprisingly, I had found a loyal and supportive community, who always had my back - apart from if I was being "too smart". They didn't like that - mainly just because it made the gang look weak or something to some dumb people. So I purposely got detentions to keep up the Wolverines's image of "troublemakers". 

Then something occurred to me.

Mallory.

-----

Mallory and I were not like normal couples. We'd known each other forever, and had dated on and off for a long time as well. She was my best friend. 

But we had an understanding. 

I "went out" with Mallory to lessen the hoards of girls who would constantly hit on me - some still did, but most of them were scared of her. I also did it to maintain an image  - if I had a girlfriend, that was it. No one was wondering over who my next fling would be or something, or starting rumours which I just didn't have the patience for.

Mallory "went out" with me (well this time anyway) to make her ex, Dylan - also Wilson's right hand man -  jealous. If you asked me, it wasn't working, but Mallory said it was and I did what she said.