Chapter 36

Daniel

It was 9am and I was finally getting my morning coffee after a long night of going over the rogue camp recordings, for the billionth time. I had gone to sleep around midnight to wake up this morning with the house empty except for Jason and myself. His shift at the daycare center didn't start till later so he was keeping me company until I left for my own project of the day. "So still no luck with the recordings?" He asked as he nodded to the laptop in front of me. "They haven't mentioned a single attack unless they're using some code word or something, but I've been over everything and it doesn't seem like they are." I sighed as I brought up the program again to check the latest recording, since I wasn't suffering enough already.

 I clicked in on the one for this morning and shared the screen with Jason as I sat back to sip my coffee, clicking play with a resigned sigh. At first it was nothing but silence of them sleeping so I hit fast forward until some activity finally came in over the microphone. They were just waking up and having their own breakfast when it suddenly fell completely silent for a few beats, I was about to check my network connection when one of the lackeys finally spoke. "It's about time you guys show up, we were wondering when they'd be sending in the reinforcements." He said and I really hated not being able to see what he was talking about. 

"Grady it's been a while, the boss is starting to get a bit antsy." A voice I hadn't heard before spoke to the leader of the little rogue camp. "We're a little shorthanded around here after what happened the last time Ian, I'm guessing that's why the boss sent all of you to help out." Grady responded, his tone tense. "He didn't exactly send us to help kid, I'm here to take over since you can't seem to handle the hunt. The boss wants that she wolf alive and ready for The Pit sooner rather than later, and he knows we'll get the job done." The new guy Ian had a threat hidden in his words as I stilled in my seat and shared a look with my brother. 

"She won't go easy, and she has a large pack backing her now from what my sources tell me." Grady warned as a number of dark chuckles sounded in the background. "That's what we're hoping for kid, the boss wants her alive, he didn't say we had to bring her back in one piece. It is about time that we finally face notorious little Sidney Blake, we'll steal her from right under their noses." Ian's dark words had me reaching for my phone and shooting a text to everyone available to get to the sanctuary, Sid was in danger and we couldn't let them get to her again.

                                              Sidney

It was just an average normal work morning at the sanctuary, until it wasn't. I had just been minding my own business as I worked on cleaning the enclosures away from the boys a bit, but it didn't last long. Fletcher, Gavin and Beckett were working in the office but suddenly they were all crowded around where I was working and talking gibberish so fast that it was starting to give me a headache. "Geez, what has gotten into you idiots?!" I growled them into silence, and that was when the sanctuary was swarmed with cars arriving one after the other, each one with another huffy puffy male rushing over to meet us. 

I could only stare at their craziness as I internally counted them off, all but Micah and Simon were present and way too loud for my liking. "BS shut everyone up or I will." I gritted out as I rubbed my temples at the increasing pressure of annoyance. "QUIET!" Bowen ordered out with his alpha command and instantly all was peacefully silent once more. "Can someone please explain to me why the sudden swarm has appeared?" I raised as I scanned their group. "Sid we've got a new recording, your life is in danger!" Daniel rushed out. "What else is new." I scoffed, like I didn't already know that.

 "You told us to meet here urgently if possible, what's going on?" Colton voiced roughly, I had to admit he looked handsome in his suit even if it wasn't proper attire for an animal enclosure. "It's better if you just listen." Jason muttered as Daniel typed in something on his computer before hitting play. One of the drunken goons from days earlier was the first to speak quickly followed by a voice I'd only heard a few times before, one that had my blood chilling in my veins. I listened to the rest of the recording in silence with the others, my fists clenched at my sides at how bad this situation really was.

 "Sidney, you know who that was, don't you?" Bowen sighed out as I met his gaze with a curt nod. "His name is Ian West, not entirely sure if it's his real name considering his line of work and the fact I've only met him a few times." I answered slowly. "He's a mature wolf with some genetic enhancements courtesy of the tests they ran on us in that h*ll hole." I hissed out. "What kind of enhancements?" Asher rumbled out. "He is faster, stronger and he heals quicker than any normal wolf you have ever seen. I heard he used to participate in the fights a lot but got bored from all his wins so he changed jobs." I puffed out as I leaned back into the cage wall behind me. 

"What is his new line of work?" Beck growled lowly. "They only bring him in as a last resort usually, considering his group is so well known. They call them The Clan of Shadows, their prey never really sees them coming, and if they do there's no escaping once they have your trail. In other words he is a glorified super bounty hunter, he and his team hunt down whoever or whatever the top dogs want them to go after, and right now that's me." My shrug helps to hide the quaking in my tense shoulders. "Well sh*t." Emmett stated coldly. "What is this Pit thing they want you for anyway?" Tucker growled out angrily and I sent him a sad smile. 

"The Pit is something you never want to experience, believe me, they never made me fight there but I did witness it, once..." I shiver at the cold lifeless memories that place brings to mind. "Can we get a bit more insight?" Colton quizzed gently. "The Pit is where they send you to die. A champion fighter is picked and thrown into the glorified hole of death, they have to face any and all challengers without a break and without help. It's either kill the opponent or make them submit before the next challenger is thrown at you, it goes on and on until you run out of challengers or the challenger kills the tired and often injured champion." I murmur to the pale faces of the boys around me. 

"That's messed up." Gavin grunted. "It's also almost impossible to survive The Pit, the champion I saw fight was killed after a couple of rounds. There was one that I know of that took on all his challengers and won, he didn't let any of them live, and right now he's got his orders to send me to the same fate." My chuckle was dark and heavy, my instinct was to run for my life but I would not surrender my freedom to these b***tards anymore. 

"Super bounty hunter dude?" Jason hissed to my nod. "Well this sucky situation just keeps getting suckier!" Fletcher howled out pitifully. "I'll die before I let them take me back there." I gritted firmly as I met the gaze of the males in front of me. "We won't let that happen, a guard will be with you at all times, no one will take you back there." Bowen stated just as firm. It was sweet even if it was reckless that they wanted to risk their lives for mine, but I had a feeling I wasn't going to like what they had planned.