Chapter ten

"Someone's calling," Deepika said. Ranveer's gaze left her lips to meet her eyes. She saw a sliver of awareness enter his expression. He stepped back from her and she hopped off the counter, tucking the towel that his hands had loosened more firmly around herself again. 

By the time she opened the bathroom door and walked into her bedroom the phone had stopped ringing again. She checked it and saw three missed calls from Alia. She sighed and called her back. 

"DP where are you guys? We're planning to leave in ten minutes." She could hear laughter and noise in the background. Alia sounded amused. 

"We're just getting ready, we'll be there," she replied. She hoped her voice was adequately steady. 

"Come soon or we'll leave without you," Alia threatened. "Or is that what you want?"

Deepika blushed. "Alia!"

Alia laughed. "Come, come, we're waiting," she said and cut the call.

Deepika looked up and saw Ranveer standing in the bathroom door, towel slung low on his hips and eyes lit with hunger. He looked utterly delectable with his skin glistening from the shower and stubble shadowing his face. Her eyes met his and she could feel the electricity arc across the space between them. She clutched the phone to her chest like a shield. "That was Alia, they're waiting for us." He nodded, his gaze continuing to rake over her body. He didn't move from his spot in the door and she couldn't seem to move from her spot near the dressing table, either.

The heat in his eyes was an almost physical caress as he swept them up and down her body. She shivered when she saw that his hands were clenched into fists at his sides. Only ten steps separated them. He took one step towards her and she moved back. Her legs hit the edge of the dressing table. She stumbled and placed a hand on the table. The misstep broke the spell binding them.

He sighed and turned away from her and walked to the closet. "I'll get dressed in the bathroom," he told her, face still turned away as he pulled out a fresh set of clothes. He knew if he looked at her he'd only want to hold her again. "Please wear something a little less... dangerous?" He heard her laugh behind him as he walked back into the bathroom. It was a struggle to keep going and not turn to her, but he managed to shut the door. 

She watched with regret as the door closed and hid him from her. Then she laughed at herself and went to the closet to get her own clothes. She picked jeans to match his as a concession to his request and a slinky backless top to keep him on his toes. She also took out a jacket because she wanted to keep him guessing. 

She'd never thought that she would be one of those women who dressed for her boyfriend, but she genuinely enjoyed dressing for him because he never failed to react in the most gratifying manner. It was fun to watch his eyes widen in shock and arousal. And of course she reaped the benefits when he couldn't keep his hands off her. Though, she thought with a smirk as she dressed, it wasn't like he kept them off her even when she was dressed in ratty pyjamas with her hair a mess and her face devoid of makeup. Still, it was fun to tease him. 

She heard him knock on the bathroom door when she was just about done dressing. "You can come out now," she told him. He walked out with his hands half over his eyes and she laughed. 

"I wasn't sure you were completely dressed. I didn't want to to take the chance." He smiled at her in the mirror as she sat down to apply concealer to the worst of the hickeys on her neck. He dropped her earrings and the necklace with the ring strung on it onto the table and kissed the side of her head.