: eleven :

The rest of the long way to Tom's had been dead silent. The most uncomfortable silence both y/n and Harrison had ever experienced. It was the sort that feels thick and stuffy, palpable tension and discomfort that makes you shift in your seat a bunch of times without finding a comfortable position as if that would dissipate the odd feeling in your chest. The kind that would have been even worse to try and fill with stupid small talk that neither he nor she wanted to have.

In silence, both wondered how that was different from the time they spent together in his office. Maybe the space, in his office there was an escape, there were places to hide outside it, but here? Ridiculously small space that could barely fit them in the front with Tessa curled up in the useless backseat. Jumping out into the busy road wasn't the best option either, as much as she wanted to just get away from him.

She supposed her energy to be with him had run out already, the limit of minutes she could tolerate him had already surpassed the usual mark and there was nothing left, even the unwelcome fluttering from when he looked at her with that glimmer in his eyes when they first left the house was gone, leaving her feeling both glad and disappointed.

"Tess! Look!" Y/n alerted the dog on the backseat, the gates of Tom's house coming into view. Tessa let out a little whine and y/n chuckled, unfastening her seat belt to turn in the seat so she could reach the puppy's collar to unhook the leash, allowing her to jump over the small centre console and into the girl's lap, tail wagging rapidly as they approached. The girl retrieved the clicker for the gates out of her coat pocket and pressed it, holding Tess by the collar as she began to tug. "Ouch, Tess." She whispered, as the short nails of the dog dug into her skin.

As soon as the gates opened enough for Harrison's car to pass through, he pressed the gas gently rolling up the driveway, parking right in front of the house's front door. Y/n jumped out of the car with Tess, power walking up the steps, "Oi, princess!" Harrison shouted when he got out of the car, y/n turned to look back at him with a slight glare, "The gates." He pointed back at the wide opened metal gates at the end of the run with his thumb. Lifting the small remote hoping for it to reach from where she stood, her thumb clicked it once and she waited a few seconds but the heavy gates didn't budge, she let out a groan and turned back to the front door, punching the code in the pad then pressing her thumb on the scanner.

The front door clicked open and the beeping of the alarm echoed through the house until she stopped it by typing the code on another keypad, closing the gates from inside with a simple click of a command on a screen and peaked out to see if the gates had closed but was met with Harrison's face instead. She backed away, glaring up at him with furrowed brows for a second then she let go of the door and turned around, walking further inside the house breathing in deeply, filling her lungs with the familiar smell of her home.

The blonde man saw her walk towards the kitchen, her steps hurrying, failing to go unnoticed with the not so subtle clicking of her heels on the polished floor. He slowly walked towards the kitchen, looking around the foyer at the art on the walls, fresh flowers and houseplants, giving the whole white place a lot more life than it actually had. His strides came to a stop by the threshold of the kitchen where he caught y/n being hugged tightly by an old woman, he assumed that was Pearl, but if he was being honest assumptions are not his forte. He saw the woman look at him over y/n's shoulder and her eyes widened for a few seconds then she patted the girl on the back and whispered something in her ear.

Y/n pulled away from the woman and turned to face Harrison, her arm around the lady's shoulders as y/n towered over her with the added height of her heeled shoes. "That's Osterfield, Tom's ally." She sighed, he saw a little distaste on her face when she said it and her tone was dismissive and that somehow bugged him, putting a sour taste in the back of his tongue as he bit into it to not spit some venom back at her. His eyes switched to the older woman who immediately nodded and offered him a kind smile, so he returned the favour, only his smile wasn't so kind, it felt tight, forced, and it sure looked like so because the lady's face changed to a serious one.