"how could you?"

(max's pov)
i sat on my couch, watching tv. three knocks came from my door and i sat up immediately. i checked the window to make sure it wasn't some weirdo. it was eleven. i wasn't expecting her today. i opened the door. there on my porch stood jane.
"el? what are you doing here? it's kind of early." i said, looking outside. she nodded.
"yeah, i- i know... i needed to tell you something." i nodded and let her in.

she rushed to my room. i walked in behind her.
"what's up?" i asked. she sat on my bed and exhaled multiple times.
"do you remember when me and mike... talked?" she asked fiddling with her little blue bracelet. i looked up.
"oh, yeah, about that, what did he say?" i asked. she looked up nervously.
"he asked me if you were making me- think badly of him?" she asked confused.
"wait, what-?"
"then he asked me...." she said quietly. i got closer to her. i had a scared expression on my face.
"asked you what?" i asked. she bit her lip.
"he wanted to start over." i was confused.
"start over? what the hell does that mean?" i asked sitting back down. she sighed and sat next to me.
"he wants to date me again." she said looking at her feet. i laughed and shook my head.
"he's so desperate! you're not gonna get back with him, right?" i asked, smiling. i turned to her but she wasn't smiling. my smile faded slowly.
"right?" i asked, frowning. i saw tears start to form in her eyes. i was starting to get mad.
"mike told me, that you were taking over me-."
"so you believed him?" i yelled, standing up in front of her. her eyes widened. she reached for my arm but i pulled it away.
"how could you?" i asked crying. she shook her head, starting to cry as well.
"don't you remember our kiss? did that mean nothing to you?" i yelled. she stood up as well.
"max, i love mike!"
"he's an asshole, el!" i yelled louder. she shook her head. i grabbed her arm.
"el, i love you!" i said, crying. she took her arm away from my grip.
"i don't feel the same. i love you, but i don't have feelings for you. i'm sorry. you're just gonna have to deal with that." i wiped my tears with my hand. i pointed to the door.
"get out of my house." i said. she got an angry look on her face. she stormed out of my room and slammed the door with her powers.

i fell onto my bed crying. my pillow soaked my tears. i didn't understand. mike? that asshole? this wasn't like el. he's manipulating her. she's gonna get heartbroken again and i know it.