𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲

I'LL ALWAYS BE YOUR BULLSHIT !

( THREE MONTHS LATER )

☀︎

THINGS HAD TO CHANGE FOR THE GROUP IN HAWKINS. Everything had been different now that the gate was shut and the Mind Flayer was gone. It was supposed to be refreshing but some just couldn't let go. They carried the burdens of the people they lost, filled with guilt and regrets about their last moments spent with them. Some felt they had no choice but to run from Hawkins, even if that meant leaving others behind.

In the Byers' home, everyone had pitched in to help them pack and share final goodbyes. Some had taken positive attitudes toward this move while others couldn't stand letting go. Three that just wanted to stay in the moment forever were Jonathan, Nancy, and Alex.

The three had worked quickly to help Jonathan pack up, cleaning out his room until nothing remained but themselves. They had all laid in the middle of the room, looking up at the ceiling above them. There were no words exchanged while they soaked in those last moments together.

In the middle, Jonathan had reached out, taking a hold of each of their hands. "We'll see each other again, won't we?"

"Of course," Nancy whispered. She held her breath for a moment, holding back her tears and the fears that this was the end of the line for them. They could make promises all day about seeing one another, and staying in touch, but they couldn't be certain they would hold true. Jonathan was moving across the country, it wasn't a guarantee that they would have that chance to stick to their world.

"I'm going to miss it," Alex said softly. "Coming over just to steal your breakfast or hiding in the darkroom when we'd skip class." She paused as she looked over to Jonathan, tears in her eyes as she began to laugh. "Who the hell am I going to annoy every day?"

"You two have each other." Pulling himself into a sitting position, Jonathan looked down at each of them. "Take care of each other. I don't want to come to visit and find out you two drifted apart or anything."

Sitting up next, each of the girls looked at one another with smiles. That was something they could easily promise. They would always have each other even in the darkest of times. Reaching a handout, Nancy had waited for Alex to take hold. When she did, they squeezed one another's hands as they made their promise. "Always."

Out in the living room, the echoing voices of Lucas and Max had come floating through once again, this time followed by frustrated groans from Dustin Henderson. Alex had given a small sigh, dropping Nancy's hand as she got to her feet. The two had needed a moment alone to say their goodbyes and Dustin had given her that opportunity to leave them be. "I should probably go babysit those assholes."