Chapter Sixty

One Year Ago

Sitting on the rocky shores of the beach with a fishing pole in hand, Iris reeled in her new catch and tossed the fish into the bucket. Ever since they found the sea, Iris began a hobby of fishing, it was peaceful for her, and it was the only time where she could find herself think.

"Mind if I join you?"

Not bothering to see who it was, Iris nodded. Armin sat down beside. He watched as Iris tied bait at the hook of her rod and then with a powerful swinging motion, had the line far into the sea.

"So, what brings you here, Armin?" Iris asked.

"I just found you fishing, so I thought I could give you company." Armin said.

"The reason I always fish whenever my Dad has us prepare dinner is because I like the peace and quiet, and isolation."

"Oh... I'm sorry, then maybe I should just – "

Armin was just about to get up and leave but stopped when he heard the sound of Iris chuckling.

"You could stay." Iris said. "Besides, listening to you talk is just as peaceful as fishing."

Armin smiled, he sat back down on the rocks and stared at the line where the stars met the ocean.

"Did Leon and Jean get the crabs that Nikolo asked them to get?" Iris asked.

"As far as I could tell, they were able to get the crabs, but didn't come back without a few scratches." Armin said, smiling. "How about you, how many have you caught?"

"Enough to feed Sasha."

Armin turned to the bucket and saw the pile.

"Then I'm sure that's enough."

"Just Sasha, Armin." Iris smirked. "Anything you want to talk about?"

There was a temporary silence as Armin thought of something, but in truth, he already had something in mind and wanted to ask her, but he couldn't find it in him to just ask her so bluntly, so he thought of starting it slow... an icebreaker, maybe?

"Your training with Masrur, how is it?" Armin asked.

"Doing well..." Iris shrugged. "It's one of those days when I really appreciate my Titan abilities."

"Why?"

"Because whenever he breaks my bones it would easily regenerate – who knew Reeds are that brutal... he really does not hold back when in training." Iris said.

Armin chuckled, but then his chuckle faded when he finally found the right words to ask her the thought that has been bugging him since he and Jean had that conversation the other day.

"Hey, have you ever wondered about your Titan abilities?" Armin asked.

"What about them?"

"As of now you have two Titan abilities – the Founding Titan and the Attack Titan. Have you ever wondered why you can't manipulate the Titans with your will?"

"I thought we already have the answer to that... it's because of my Ackerman blood, that's why, it's rejecting the Founding Titan's abilities."

"But that was just an hypothesis, we just based it on the only possible answer given to us, but we weren't every given a chance to test it."