【10】New Roomie

By the time I arrived at Kelex the next day, I had sent a few emails regarding potential apartments, insisting it was very time-sensitive

By the time I arrived at Kelex the next day, I had sent a few emails regarding potential apartments, insisting it was very time-sensitive. Even though it was possible, I couldn't see how I'd manage to find a new place in three days. If I failed to find an available place within my price range, I'd have to get my stuff into storage and book a hotel room somewhere. Obviously, I didn't want that to happen at all.

It was with a heavy heart that I came out of the elevator and onto Kelex's floor, having no idea how I would manage this situation.

I also had received another letter from Oliver. I had successfully guessed 'U' with his new riddle. Gaelic or not, the name made no sense so far.

On my way to the Troll's Lair, a hand reached for my arm. I jumped a little, turning around to find a very serious-looking Oli.

"Follow me," he said, without another word.

Intrigued, I complied as he guided me to the stairs. "Where are you taking me?" I asked as we were reaching the upper floor.

"It's a surprise," he responded with a mysterious smile.

Once in the corridor, he brought me in front of a familiar door. He knocked, and when a feminine voice invited us in, Oliver opened. We entered the office, and I saw it was Tamika and Kat's.

"Hey, guys," Kat greeted us. Tammy lifted her face from her screen and smiled at us with a hand wave.

"So," Oliver started, visibly enthusiastic, raising his hand to sign for Tamika. "Yesterday, when you told me about your living problem, I tried my best to find a solution to help you out. I remembered how Tammy's roommate recently moved out, so I sent her a message to see if she was still looking for a replacement. When I told her it was for you, she seemed happy with the idea, so I got you here to discuss it with her."

I stared at him, shocked. Had he seriously been through all this for me? Tammy gave me an encouraging smile when I turned to her, stunned. Returning to him, I tried to thank him. "Oli, you—" Tongue-tied, I struggled to find the proper words.

"Calm down, Andy, all I did was send a text," he argued with amusement.

I turned again to Tammy. "Would you seriously have me as a roommate?"

"We need to talk first, but I don't see why not."

"I'll wait outside," Oli offered. I barely registered his exit, still astonished.

"So, as Oliver said, my roommate left me to go live with her boyfriend. Her half of the rent was six hundred and fifty dollars. Is it okay with you?"

"Yeah, absolutely! But I really don't want to impose. You barely know me... I mean, I could be a drug-dealing pimp, with a tendency to stab people in their sleep," I argued, finding it unbelievable she would take me after having known me for only two days.