【09】Oliver With a Twist

A grin lingered on my lips from Oliver's teasing, as I kept walking toward the bus stop, happy to not be walking alone

A grin lingered on my lips from Oliver's teasing, as I kept walking toward the bus stop, happy to not be walking alone. "You didn't have to accompany me, you know." I appreciated his attention, but I didn't want him to feel forced to do this every day.

"And miss our daily existential conversation? Never, Miss Walker!"

I smiled, touched. "What is your surname, by the way?"

"Twist."

"Haha, good one," I answered without missing a beat. I was not falling for it.

"What?"

"Your name most certainly isn't Oliver Twist."

"Is there something I should know about my name?"

I stopped in my tracks, looking at him. He sure was convincing, his expression one of pure confusion and innocence. For about half a second, I almost believed him, but his resolve finally wavered, and a smile pulled up the corners of his pink lips.

"You're an idiot," I declared, resuming my walk.

"I almost had you."

"You didn't."

"I did."

"Maybe for a hundredth of a second."

"Still counts."

We walked in silence for a moment, while I tried to hold back my smile. There was something truly enticing about Oli, a comfortableness I appreciated greatly. Since we were surrounded by hundreds of people also returning home, we would sometimes be separated, but he always came back near me.

"Queen," he then said out of the blue.

"What?"

"My name is Queen."

Oliver Queen? That one sounded very familiar too. Not trusting him after his initial joke, I racked my brain to find where I knew it from, searching for the trap. Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow.

"You numbnuts!" I protested, gently hitting his arm with my fist.

"Ouch! Gentle there, Rocky." He rubbed the spot I had punched, visibly happy with his joke.

"Tell me your name, Oli. It's a question of honor now."

"May I offer an 'Oliver Branch' to appease your bruised ego?" he proposed. I tried to suppress my smile but failed. "Or maybe I could invite you to 'Oliver Garden'?"

"You are the worst." My massive grin wasn't fading, and it was clear he was, indeed, not the worst.

"I would say I can go all night, but I'm already out of ideas," he responded, visibly annoyed.

"You could have said Spirit."

He thought about it for an instant and smiled. "Oli Spirit. Nice one! That opens so many possibilities. Wood, Cow, Molly, Grail..."